FD-ISR install on Vista--help needed

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by tutor772, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

Hi. I installed Windows Vista on a new partition on my hard drive so I can now dual boot to either Windows XP Pro or Vista Home Premium. I had been running FD-ISR 3.2 workstation (the latest version, whatever the numbers are) on XP before I installed Vista. Just to be safe, I uninstalled FD-ISR before installing Vista.
    My question is this: How do I now reinstall FD-ISR on Vista? I have the full version (1.04, I think) that I bought from Raxco over a year ago, and the 1.07 and 2.02 patches. When I try to install the full version, I get an error message saying this version is for XP only. If I try to install the 2.02 patch, I get an error message saying the full program isn't present (no surprise). I have NOT reinstalled FD-ISR in the XP partition. I sent an e-mail earlier to Raxco support, but it's been days past their 24 hours turn-around time and I haven't heard back from them. Any suggestions? I'll be happy to post any other hardware/software information you may need. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

FDISR works only on the C: partition, it doesnt see your Vista on the other partition.

You cant install the old versions on Vista. That is the downside with their business model where you only get the retail version when you buy it and after that you have to install it from scratch (retail+update1+update2+update3 and so on) whenever yo decide to do a clean install, as oppose to getting a new full version with new updates :(
    But that is the only downside with this excellent product that I have found :)

What you should have done was to have all the latest updates of FDISR on XP and then create an empty snapshot where you install Vista.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  3. tutor772

Thanks for the information.
    I bought Vista to start learning more about the operating system. I still expect to do most of my work (for the time being) in XP.
    When I boot my system, if I boot to Vista, the Vista drive is recognized as my C: drive. If I boot to XP, the XP drive is recognized as C:. Instead of doing a "clean install" in XP with FD-ISR, could I (bite the bullet and buy a retail version of FD and) install it under Vista AND reinstall FD in XP? Would the two versions coexist so the pre-boot screen would come up the Vista version when I boot to Vista and then the XP version would come up when I boot to XP? Or would they just conflict and I wouldn't be able to boot at all?

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Another approach would be to install Vista in an empty snapshot rather that doing a dual boot. Then you could just boot back and forth between snapshots to switch from Vista to XP.

5. tutor772

Just for the sake of completeness:
    The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of doing a "clean install" using FD-ISR. I had used Windows Easy Transfer Companion to copy some applications, but that did not work well (for me, at least). I had already decided to start over with a new Vista install anyway, so I thought I might as well do it in an empty snapshot.
    I installed Vista to an empty snapshot, and everything went fine. However, after the installation was complete, the FD-ISR pre-boot screen was gone, and my computer would only boot into Vista. I had no apparent way of booting to XP or accessing any of my other snapshots. Hmmm....I downloaded a trial version copy of FD-ISR from Leapfrog and installed it in Vista. When I rebooted, the pre-boot screen came up, and I could access my other snapshots. Whew! I expected I would have to buy a new license (and I may still have to), but FD-ISR comes up as the Raxco Software version, and when I do a Help/About, it lists the version as Raxco 3.20 Professional, with my customer ID in the proper field. I assume that means the "trial" version recognized my Raxco license, but I guess I'll know for sure in 14 days when the trial version supposedly expires.
    Thanks again to all who helped.

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Hi tutor772,

Glad it worked for you. You did it correctly and it will not expire.

Silver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.