FD-ISR Crash

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by silver0066, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I was running a StorageProtect backup. I brought up the First Defense menu from the taskbar during the backup process which resulted in an immediate BSOD.

I rebooted okay, and then brought up the FDISR menu again and received an error box with the following:

Runtime Error '35602'
    Key is not unique in collection.

I closed the window and tried to run First Defense again and it did not run at all.

I uninstalled and reinstalled FDISR. Same error, same result. I did a Recovery restore from the StorageProtect bootdisk to 6 hours earlier when FDISR was working fine.

Same error, same result.

I am stuck. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Silver
    ===============================================

P.S. I just fixed it. It turns out that one of my archive snapshots had a space before the first letter in it's name. I removed the space, and everything started working okay again.

Very strange. Lesson...don't leave a space as the first character in the name of an archive. Probably not a system snapshot either.

Silver

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I call that a bug and must be fixed. No doubt about it.
    If a leading space isn't allowed, the program can do two things :
    1. give the user an error message, so that he has to remove it manually.
    2. remove the leading space automatically without error message, because a leading space is of no importance.
    Because the leading space can cause a problem later, the program MUST do something about it.

In the past the special sign "/" in the name of a snapshot caused also problems in FDISR, Raxco solved it in the latest release. Case closed.

PS: Windows validates the file name also and doesn't allow certain characters in file names.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree with Erik. I would report it as a bug. Also although I've tested stuff with ShadowProtect running, I would leave FDISR alone while SP is running. Both use mechanisms to lock the system, and it may be both are using VSS. Maybe it should work, but that is one I wouldn't chance.

Pete

4. silver0066

That is good advice. I use the RSS in FDISR and I still got the BSOD. I will not use both at the same time again. The problem is that you have to look at your ShadowProtect Incremental schedule to be sure that it is not running everytime you want to update a First Defense snapshot.

5. Peter2150

True, but also what you can do is pause the SP job, update FDISR, and resume the job. Or just watch the clock.

6. silver0066

Yes, you can do that, but you should not have to. I hope StorageCraft or Leapfrog fixes the problem. If you forget, you get a BSOD.

7. Peter2150

That may be asking too much. Kind of like expecting either to run with a defrag job running. I may try it later.

8. Peter2150

Hi Silver

Being a gluton for punishment I gave it a try. Since both the incremental and the FDISR update were going to be quick, I had FDISR set to go and just had to click copy which I did about 20 seconds prior to the incremental kicking off.

No BSOD or crash here. What did happen was ShadowProtect took precedence and FDISR couldn't access files on the c: drive sooooo. it assumed the c: drive was empty and merrily started deleting files out of the archive. I aborted it.

Paused the SP job as a new archive would take more than 15 minutes. Built a new archive which went fine, and then resumed the SP job which took the next incremental just fine. New FDISR archive is fine, and I verified all the SP files and they are fine.

But they can't run together, and I suspect the answer you'd get from Storagecraft and Leapfrog would be the same. Don't!!

Pete

9. silver0066

Hi Pete,

Interesting....we both got different results. I am not using my RAID machine at the moment, so that might be the difference. Anyway, you are right, the lesson is, don't run them at the same time!!

Silver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.