FD-ISR Compatible with dual boot Win 7 & Vista?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by tutor772, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

Before Windows 7 was officially released, I tried installing Win 7 RC1 in an empty snapshot on my Vista system using the instructions posted in another thread by pandlouk. It "sort of" worked--I could boot to the Windows 7 snapshot or the primary Vista snapshot, but not to any of the other snapshots I had. When Windows 7 was officially released, I decided to install it in a new partition. I first uninstalled FD-ISR from Vista and then installed Windows 7 in a new partition. I can now dual-boot to either Vista or Win 7.
    I'll wait for the Win 7 compatible version of FD-ISR before installing it. But here's my question: if I install FD-ISR (Win 7 compatible version) on Win 7, will I still be able to dual-boot? That is, will the Windows boot menu come up first, and then if I select "Windows 7" will the next screen be the FD-ISR menu? Or will the installation of FD-ISR wreck the Windows boot manager?
    I know this is speculation at this point, but I'm wondering if anyone has FD-ISR installed on a dual-boot system, like a Vista and XP dual-boot configuration, and has FD-ISR working properly. Thanks for any ideas.

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Good question and I will also be awaiting an answer to this one. By the way, tutor, what dual-boot software are you using?

Acadia

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, it will work but it will be displayed after the FD-ISR boot menu.

Panagiotis

4. tutor772

tutor772 Registered Member

Pandlouk: Thanks for the note. I was hoping I could keep the dual boot setup, whether FD-ISR comes before or after the Windows boot menu.
    Acadia: I'm not using any special software. I simply followed the "generic" instructions for setting up a Windows dual-boot configuration: I created a new partition on my hard drive, booted from the Win 7 DVD, selected a "clean install" and told Win 7 to install in the new partition. The Windows boot manager detected my previous Vista installation, and now when I boot, a Windows boot menu appears, giving me the choice of booting to Win 7 or Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.