FD and firewall question

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I read in the Raxco support area that the excellent Comodo firewall has issues with FD: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=600

I also read in the Comodo forums of some issues.

What firewall do all you folks use with your FD? If any of you use Comodo, did you have to do anything special to make it compatible with FD? Thank you.

Acadia

2. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I've been using Comodo since last September without any problems. It never prevented FDISR from working properly for me. Raxco did give a workaround for said problem but I had no need to use it.

("As a workaround, launch the Comodo application; go to the security tab and select advanced. Under the miscellaneous option, click configure and uncheck the option to "protect own registry keys and files from unauthorized modifications".)

When Comodo v3 came out, the Comodo forum was ripe with complaints so I never got around to upgrading to v3.
    When I do, at least I'll have FD snapshots to fall back on.

3. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

Hello!

I have never used comodo firewall with FDISR so i cant say anything about that, but i will keep that in mind when version 3 comes out. I am using Online Armor firewall in my first snapshot and KIS firewall on another snapshot, both are working fine with FDISR.

Kristian

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am using the release build of Version 2 of Online Armor. No FDISR issues what so ever.

Pete

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have tried many firewalls with FDISR. They all worked nicely with FDISR.
    Sure comodo protects its registry entries aggressively so you will get errors when FDISR makes a copy (and when you boot into the new snapshot) but it is not a bug, it is a feature :)
    As told above you can disable the registry protection in Comodo when doing a snapshot. Nothing much else you can do about it, just live with it if you want your firewall to be as safe as it can be. Personally I have it always disabled since I see it very far fetched that I would encounter a malware that tries to disable Comodo via the registry (and I believe that I would notice it anyway) but thats just me.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

("As a workaround, launch the Comodo application; go to the security tab and select advanced. Under the miscellaneous option, click configure and uncheck the option to "protect own registry keys and files from unauthorized modifications".)

When Comodo v3 came out, the Comodo forum was ripe with complaints so I never got around to upgrading to v3.
    When I do, at least I'll have FD snapshots to fall back on.[/QUOTE]

Just do the above and you'll be all set. There is no issue. Comodo does great.
    Comodo ver. 3 hasn't been released yet.

7. munckman

munckman Registered Member

My intention is just to ease some concerns. You can copy any snapshot without errors. The thing is, you Must do it outside of the source snapshot. This way it eliminates any conflicts with all user programs.

As a side note, the most important and fastest snapshot is your Primary. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise.

A ISR user can do many many things with snapshots; that is granted. My assertions are just my humble opinion but are as close to being set in stone as I can imagine... trust me...

I use the OA2 and Comodo firewall as well without errors. If you rename your primary snapshot it may be prudent to write it down so that you don't forget which one it really is so you can always proceed with your best foot forward.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  8. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I agree with this, and I think it is probably good practice.

I always understood that all snapshots are equal in every way. Cant see any speed difference either.

I have no problem with FDR and Comodo providing you remember to uncheck the registry option.

9. munckman

munckman Registered Member

kennyboy

There are differences. The default exclude "*tmp is a large difference." The primary snapshot is located by default in the fastest spot of the hard disk. That is a given. The secondary snapshot is located in the second fastest part of the Hard drive by default... The ninth snapshot is placed at the slowest part of the hard drive. There are also the excluded files. In my case and by the the program excludes; they add up considerably. Have you ever wondered why copying a certain snapshot that you know has not changed much takes a lot longer sometimes? Sometimes it is just the specific location or snap that you are originating the copying from.

Sometimes, a copy can differ by large amount. Did you loose something? No, probably nothing important. But you did indead loose something. What about the pagefile or hyberfil .sys? Are they the same throughout snaps?

10. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

PoC ?

PoC ?

Mike

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Munckman

In case you're wondering what Mike is saying, I'll rephrase it. Where did you get the idea about disk location. You may be right immediately following creation of the snapshot, but thats it. Time and a defrag mixes them up.

Pete

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@munckman: that is an interesting approach: but would seem to bypass the primary function of FDISR ??

@peter and flinchlock LOL.

In the not too distant past and (hopefully near future :doubt: ) we would have e-mailed RAxco and a new engine would have been sent out to fix this
    (despite a workaround being on offer) Imo FDISR is failing if it cannot deal with whatever other apps are on the C partition: other wise what is the point if disabling legitimate security features of other tools is the only solution.
    ( I accept there may always be issues.... but.... )

As I recall there were several other apps : CyberHawk for one whose process protection needed some solution for copy/update errors with their drivers.

This was provided in a couple of special engines for testing and then included in the recent/last update.

It will be a shame if that does not continue: This was part of what we contributed to FDISR devt.

Maybe Bootback will continue to develop along these lines.

Sad.

PS oh sorry: using -heh- much maligned NIS 2007 here no probs with FDISR.
    lol; prolly not the best fw :shifty:

Also PrevX 2 running here with no issues so far.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  13. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Longboard, using Outpost Pro, never any issues w/ FD-ISR

...screamer

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just an update ... installed Comodo, made the recommended adjustment, everything's been just fine for a week now, no problems at all ... :cool:

Acadia

15. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Slightly confused, running FD-ISR with Comodo Ver 2.4.18.184. I was unaware of any problem between the two since I have been copying/updating without any evidence of errors. I have just checked Comodo settings and it is indeed set to 'Protect own registry keys' but no error.

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Then I wouldn't mess with it. Just keep this bit of info in the back of your mind just in case you ever run into any problems.

Acadia

17. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi Acadia, yes that is pretty much the tack I am foloowing until I see eveidence to the contrary, I have read the Raxco link you posted, which seems to suggest that if there were a problem then I would be aware of either by errors occuring in the copy/update process and or an inability to boot tothe other snapshots, since niether appear to be the case with my setup I will continue as before, but as you suggest I am now aware of a possible cause should this change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.