FCC, FTC launch inquiry into smartphone security updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, May 9, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I hope this motivates AT&T to do something. Had I known had bad they were I would have gone with ANY other carrier.

3. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

the only real solution is to have devices able to download updates direct from google as well as requiring google to support each version of android for 36 months, anything else is inadequate.

Because carriers and manufacturers have to give you incentives to upgrade, its in their interest to not provide updates for old devices.

An issue I got as well is that google consider 12 months old android version obsolete, there was an article I read somewhere about a year ago, where they refused to patch 4.4 kitkat because it was 12 months old, instead telling people to upgrade to 5.x. Not everyone wants their UI changing rapidly every 6-12 months so some people wont upgrade for that reason (me included).

I like android better than IOS but android does always have the feel of alpha/beta software about it due to the rapid development model, as soon as you get used to UI changes, bam another new version is released with another UI redesign, and if a bug gets fixed, a new bug shows up to take its place. Not to mention the constant removal of useful features.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.