FBI reveals BEC attacks pilfered $2.3bn from US companies

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Minimalist, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

3. Minimalist

Employee gets email requesting transaction of money to another account. Email seems to come from their boss (email address similar to their boss'). So they transfer the money thinking it is a legit payment (let's say paying an invoice from their supplier). Please explain me how HIPS / anti-loggers can help here.

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Actual this is about corporate IT security training. Of course, security and training have always been on the bottom of most corps. budget criteria.

It does show however, the deplorable current state of most e-mail security scanning software. For a developer wanting to make a bundle, this is where I would concentrate my resources.

5. Minimalist

Yes, it's mostly about training, always double-checking info about payments delivered through email and similar. Install and forget solutions IMO won't work here.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It depends on the type of attack. The most simple attacks work like the way you described, but the more advanced ones are using malware like the HawkEye trojan to infiltrate corporate networks, in order to increase the chance of a successful attack. That's why I said that both user education and security tools are needed.

7. Minimalist

8. Minimalist

9. itman

itman Registered Member