FBI Ransomware: Reveton seeks MoneyPak payment in the name of the law

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blog.eset.com/2012/08/20/fbi-ransomware-reveton-seeks-moneypak-payment-in-the-name-of-the-law

2. Mrzocor

Mrzocor Registered Member

Why can't NOD 32 stop it? I thought this was suppose to be a top notch antivirus program? It isn't any better then the free ones!

3. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Anti-virus software is evaluated against a wide range of samples. It would be a major fallacy to evaluate a security software based on it's performance in detecting and removing a single malicious agent. Not to mention that your security should never hinge on a single security product. Personally, I tend to crank up the security settings and apply a default deny approach to everything. Sure I get a lot of false positives & pop-ups, but it really goes a long way in preventing these kinds of problems.

From what I ascertain, the MoneyPak trojan does not seem to require a great deal of effort to remove than other Trojans I have been asked to inspect. I honestly can't say I've see these kinds of problems on properly layered systems, except by user negligence. Bare in mind that I am no IT expert, and most of the people that I help are family, friends, colleagues, and neighbors.

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It can detect Reveton but there are new ones released every day. And the same old story that customers need to remember "No AV protects againts 100% of the malware" that goes for ESET too of course, including the Free ones. :)

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I was cruising through rough terrain the other day and ended up with a black screen and then that exact same "FBI" message. Of course, I use Deep Freeze and simply rebooted and I was good as new. But, I can see where the average computer user would be dumbfounded as to what to do next - especially thinking they can't seek help because they've done something "wrong."

7. chattycathy

chattycathy Registered Member

A friend of mine called me not too long ago about this. Her husband had gotten it on his laptop. He was going to pay the fee because it scared him and he was afraid not to, but she remembered me telling her if they received anything like this before they did anything to call me, that it would be malware or viruses. I told her not to let him pay them and then walked her through getting it off the laptop over the phone. We managed to get rid of it.

8. Dougkendig

Dougkendig Registered Member

I need a hand with the FBI MoneyPak virus...

9. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.