FBI: Monitoring Skype and Gmail are "top priority" in 2013

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by dogbite, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

2. I wonder how they expect to deal with the resulting infoglut.

3. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Don't they have key work filters?

They have more than enough man power and resources to sort out the potentially dangerous data.

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'll be mentioning airplanes, C4 and USA every day in my mails. In fact i'll put this in my mail signature. Their keyword detectors will go mad :D

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Um, actually, no they don't. Especially not in manpower. There are keywords of course, but keywords have never been the only criteria for logging data in these systems and looking at the data twice. More on topic, I'm not at all surprised they want to watch over Skype and Gmail. Of course this means what enough people have known all along, Google is very friendly with LEA, and their public PR moments with all of this "They'll need a warrant for us to hand over anything about you" is a bunch of nonsense.

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It would be hilarious to do that if they still weeded out the obvious trolls from the real threats. Now they whisk you off to a dark cell whether you were "funning" them or not. See you in the new Guantanamo :D

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

IMO it's an ideal response if done on a large enough scale. Locking up a few dozen or a hundred is one thing. Get several thousand involved and it becomes nearly impossible to lock them up covertly.

8. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Especially if someone does not live in the US...

9. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Keep in mind that if anyone has or is hoping to one day have a security clearance that the government evaluates what you post online and what kind of activity you have in your e-mail. But I fully agree, that the best way to defeat agencies that utilize these tactics is if we ban together and make the process of decrypting web traffic so costly and time consuming that the entire process becomes rather unproductive. The same philosophy is applied when waging wars, so why not apply it to the war on privacy? Even if they make an example of a select few individuals they are only going encourage more support on our end.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts.

11. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

12. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I wish them luck. I don't agree with backdooring software, but if someone is stupid enough to use Skype or Gmail for terrorist type activities then they deserve what's coming to them! The world would be such a better place without them!

13. caspian

caspian Registered Member

If that was the only access that all of these new powers would grant, and if there were safe guards and accountability, then I would not mind at all. I don't like terrorists either. And I love being able to speak freely and live as a free man. So a terrorist is my enemy. So just as long as their are rules to follow that prevent abuse then I'm okay with it.

But this doesn't appear to be the case. And the more they do away with oversight and accountability, the more they open that door for mischief of all types. I bet even N. security letters have even been used for personal reasons. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. And spying to help out a friend or relative. To promote a personal political agenda. Or spying just for the helll of it. I bet it's all been done.

14. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

"Terrorists"....Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

(Not political, it's only one word, used in the original article, and then digitally simulated laughter).

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.