FBI allowed to use keyloggers

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by S!x, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S!x

S!x Registered Member

Interesting article ... and the wave of the future.
    http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,49455,00.html

"Privacy scholars who fear that the judges ruling will dramatically expand the government's ability to spy on Americans have closely watched the case. If Politan's decision is upheld on appeal, it will grant police broad powers to circumvent privacy-protecting encryption products."

2. securityuser

securityuser Guest

This is a good case for all of those who think that in the United States one must cough up their passphrase ---- or else. That's simply not the truth. This case explains that. The DOJ has been fighting this one to the wire. The fight is to get the information gathered by use of a keylogger entered into evidence. If the USA had RIP laws like the UK, this case would be moot. They would have just ordered Scarfo to cough it up or go to jail. Thank God, that's not the case. We still have the fifth amendment in this country against self incrimination. This case also shows that wiretap laws should apply to placing of keyloggers on a suspects computer. I have confidence this will be overturned on appeal. I'd like them to nail this SOB as bad as the next guy, but not at the expense at the erosion of our constitutional rights.

3. cyberwar

cyberwar Guest

Thanks for the link to that article S!x. I wonder though, with all those tax payer dollars available if the US gov could come up with something really really sneaky. Maybe a way to keylog that most would never think of or be able to detect....I just bet they could.

4. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

The chance is that the government would not use a standard key logger, they would probably program one of their own to not be picked up by the standard adware, spyware or virus scanning tool.

Jimbob

5. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Oh yeah? I can find out the government's server's IP address and block it with my firewall so they can't plant any keyloggers on my computers. Their server will also be unable to communicate with the keylogger.

6. controler

controler Guest

AS of my latest info, None of the Gov's Keyloggers really worked that well.
    I can tell you some of the software developers we know were even asked to help them code it at one time.

I do know that THEY have hardware for picking up your keystrokes though.
    Not the kind they hang the back of your PC either. With this stuff, they sit outside your house and pick up the electromagnetic pulses comming from your keyboard. Not many people here like to talk about this type of SPYING though.
    THEY mostly usd keyloggers in the past to get your PGP key.

Right now THEY can contact your ISP and wiretap YOU. Not much you can do if they are tied to your IP now is there?
    We could go on and on and on and on LOL

Bruce

7. controler

controler Guest

Quick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wrap your house in tinfoil and ground it :D

Oh and while your at it Wrap your head too !!! and ground it.

THEY have brain washing waves too..

Bruce

8. controler

controler Guest

Actualy a Mobil home workes good since they are metal and grouned allready ;)

Bruce

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Don't expect it to be examined further or reversed - this case began in 1999 - this article is from 2002, and Scarfo pled guilty early 2002. In return for his guilty plea the "conspiracy-to-commit-extortion" charge was dropped. you can't appeal when you plead guilty!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.