FBackup

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by MICRO, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Has anyone tried this Freeware ?

http://www.fbackup.com/

I am interested because when I use SyncBack each week it has 84 files on XP it says are in use and cannot be backed up, whereas FBackup has this piece,

" If a file is in use by another program at the time of the backup, FBackup will still be able to back up that file, because it uses the Volume Shadow Service that Windows provides. So, as long as you're on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 2003 Server or Windows 2008 Server, FBackup will back up those open files. As an example, you will be able to back up your Outlook emails and settings without closing it first".

Can anyone unravel if the following is just another way of saying it's NOT
    an Acronis type image taker, or that it's NOT an OS restorer ?

"FBackup is a free file backup software, it is not recommended for full system backups (image backups)".

2. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

wow, looks nice.. gotta try..

3. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Backup programs fall into two categories, file-by-file and disk-image. Most file-by-file backup programs (like FBackup) are not capable of backing up Windows. These backup programs are intended for the purpose of backing up your personal files (email, docs, data, photos, etc.). There are a few file-by-file programs that can backup Windows, but they are not free!

Just about every disk-image backup program is capable of backing up Windows, as well as personal files.

Hth,
    JA

4. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

Yes thanks Jo Ann - As I have always used ATI for imaging the OS I guess
    there's not much need to concern about the 84 files Syncback says it can't backup because they are 'running/open/being used' - they are probably
    'system' files - whereas I only want backups of my Apps. in case I lose
    one somehow, or in the event that my images fail.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Some of the file type back programs can now backup in use files. I use Outback Plus 6 and it can indeed backup Outlook while it is open.

Pete

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Actually, a large number of file-by-file backup programs now use VSS to backup open files. Even NTbackup (in Vista) uses VSS. But very few of those are capable of disaster recovery!

7. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

My friend uses and speaks highly of Genie Backup Manager. He tells me it allows for disaster recovery and that they are offering 30% discount for the rest of Dec.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.