Farstone.com: 50% discount

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wilbertnl, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Site-wide blowout sale: Farstone.com.
    All products are 50% off.

2. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up!!! :thumb: :thumb:

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I threw out Roillback Rx as it messed everything on my pc:rolleyes:
    I have installed RestoreIT but I would like to know if Setting the scheduler to create an automatic backup every 1 hour while the system is running is too extreme? The default setting for this was 24hrs but my system never runs constantly for 24hrs. At present it is set to create an incremental backup point automatically, and create a backup point at system startup, create a backup point every 1 day those are the default settings with Create a backup point while system is running every 24hrs as default. Farstome website says I can change this to create a backup point every hour, but wont this quickly use up all the space needed for backups? and they say the backup points are unlimited, and governed by available disk space I have 110GB space free. what would be a reasonable time frame to set the create a backup to be?

4. wilbertnl

That depends on the amount of changes in an hour. Do you have your documents in the same partition? It would help if you have s separate data partition.
    Is your data monitored too? Data gets backed-up as soon as you modify it. No schedule needed.

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK in English please Wilbert :D I dont know if my Documents in the same partition ,but I imagine so, As I did nothing special, I just let RestoreIT install itself,and left it at that, as for data monitoring, by whom & by what?. So let me try and understand what your saying :blink: I installed RestoreIT, not by creating any partition, just inserting CD in newly formatted Computer CDROM,and sitting back while it installed. If I now copy all my MP3's from my backup DVD's to MyDocuments Folder, a backup will automatically be created? without having to make a backup manually? The only 2 incremental backups I see in the RestoreIT Console, are the newly created backup that was created when it was first installed,and a backup I made myself when I installed My AntiVirus. And I presume I did the right thing in creating this backup BEFORE! I installed my AntiVirus,and not afterwards. As to the amount of changes in an hour, I dont really install,or uninstall anything that often,so somedays, there will be no changes at all, so I guess the best setting is to let it make a backup everyday when I turn on my computer at system start? Or to manually create one before I install something. Restore stuff like this is brand new to me, I'm not at all savy with it,:cool: "oh" before I forget, can I use PerfectDisk 8 with RestoreIT ? I tried before I reformatted, and it said some stuff about inconsistancies and to run chkdsk /r. I ran chkdsk immediately after I reformatted, it took about an hour and then defraged and installed RestoreIt like it says to,so I think everythings ok again now.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  6. wilbertnl

It would probably help if you download the User Manual.
    The section about file level backup and restore, starting at page 26, discusses how backups of your documents work.
    File Backup is different from System Backup, it's great if you get familiar with it.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

The user manual does not answer my question. I have create incremental backup point automatically,and create a new backup point at system startup both ticked, along with create a new backup point every 1 day ticked. I turned on my computer this morning,and no backup point has been made,although create a new backup point at system startup is ticked o_O The last backup point I see is the one I created when I installed my firewall :doubt: If I untick create a backup point at system startup, everything gets greyed out,and the create an incremental backup point automatically is unticked o_O So my question is this? Should a backup point be created everytime I turn on my computer daily so i can restore to the beginning of that day if necessary? If I have it enabled in the sheduler,as it says at every system startup. Norton GoBack which I used years ago always had a restore point to the time you powered up my computer,at the beginning of everyday. Why wont RestoreIT do what it is sheduled to do? :(

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Wilbertnl,

Are you a lover of "RestoreIt?"

My first restore using Acronis TI 10 went horrible! Errors which did not exsist, previously, were abundant! Still trying to sort it all out, Acronis support is not very helpful, do you know how Farstone support is? If imaging software is akin to a "mirror" then Acronis's mirror is broken!

Take Care & Merry Christmas
    Rico

9. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Fwiw, RestoreIT and Acronis Truie Image are not compatible. While installing the RestoreIT trial version earlier this year, I was alerted that it detected Acronis TI was installed on my system and tht I would have to remove it before proceeding. Since I rely on Acronis TI for disaster recovery, I abandoned RestoreIT. :thumbd:

10. wilbertnl

I only have experience with restoreIt 7 and Acronis TrueImage 8. But I didn't install TrueImage, I used the rescue CD to take offline images.
    The results were successful. You just have to be careful with the secure zone, RestoreIt may behave in a unexpected way when you restore an image.

11. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Hi wilbertln,
    I use Dual Os (Vista and XP) on my machine. Can I use Restoreit? I ask this because I know Restoreit makes changes to MBR. Thanks

12. wilbertnl

I'm not sure about RestoreIt 7, but RestoreIt 8 will support Vista.

13. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

I don't want to use it with Vista. I only want to learn can I continue use Dual Boot after installing Restoreit on XP. thanks

14. wilbertnl

I don't know. I'm not using Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.