Faronics.Anti-Executable Standard

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by theshadow247, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

my steup is nod32.system safety monitor sandboxie and rolback rx.if i install anti-executable will i still need system safety monitor and sandboxie.or should i uninstall them o_O

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks; I am using DeepFreze standard, Whose author also developes AE. AE is a compliment to DF, in order to furthur strengthen DF's security, worrying about the tiny window opportunity between frozen/thawed cycle allowing malwares to sneak thru. AE uses very tight whitelist, allowing ONLY those whose names on that list to execute, no exceptions. Therefore it may have more tighter security sense. While SSM may ask your permission to allow certain executions. The reason I have not install AE along w/ DF is its nearly perfect whitelist, otherwise, this combination will make the whole computer system as secure as Knox inside/outside. With AE,IMO, you may not need SSM, however, you will lose the flexibilty SSM can offer. Sandboxie can stay, although it is not as secure as DF or shadowuser.:-*

3. theshadow247

the reason i ask is after reading on the faronics site that after installing. a/e scannes your system. and nothing can be installed while a/e in enabled.so i cant see why ssm or sandboxie is needed sins spyware and or viruses cant install....

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: You are right. AE will deadlock your pc w/ only few options and exemptions. If your primary concern is the installtion of spywares and viruses, please welcome to share my experience. I used to have a fleet( i mean a FLEET) of AS, AV, AT,HIPS ,just name it, i had them all. And still got infected by unknown trojan, still unknown to this day. The whole system files had gone sideway. Then I enlist DeepFreeze standard, reducing numbers of AV,AS AT etc. Now I just have firewall(1),AV(1),AS(1)and prevx1 (newly acquired). I use DF's frozen mode to net surf, testing new prog and sometimes play online games. My system is clean each time. Infection is almost not in my cyber-vocabulary.:)

5. theshadow247

in the past. i have used deepfreeze and shadowuser. but the problem i had was that if my system crashed or a power outage occured i would loos what ever i didnt save before the crash or outage.nothing is fool proof i even got spyware on my system without knowing it. using shadowuser

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Both DF and ShadowUser are excellent apps. Both can deliver nearly bullet-proof protection, except: the cracks allowed in Shadowuser, in it I believe there is an option that user can give a green light to a user-selected app to be exempt from shadow mode, this tiny window opportunity does allow some malwares to sneak thru. while in DF's frozen,user has no option to do that, that means everything in your computer is being frozen, any changes(including any damages) will be gone upon reboot. The main drawback to this is that user will lose all changes including those good ones user wish to save. But this is a wise tradeoff. IMO. Oh, BTW, you need a good backup app to store all your data, an external HD perhaps a good thought, you know when the system crashes , one of the best lifelines is from outside, such as that external HD.

7. theshadow247

i agree that shadowuser is easyer to get infected with.but i have always had the problem with deepfreeze that when its enabled if doesnt showup in my system tray so i cant disable it.i always have to restore my system back to a working state.with rollback rx.or one of my images on my external HD.if i could fix the problem with deepfreeze i would use it with anti-executable....

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Allow me to walk thru something w/ you. The newest version is 6.1 just released few days ago. After DF is installed from d/l . It should be in Frozen state, you should see its icon(polar bear) on system tray area, w/o a golden colour x on it. Then use Ctrl+Alt+Shift to open its window, from there you enter your new password and select your options. You should have its icon on system tray all the time. W/ golden-coloured x means thrawed mode, not protected by DF. Now another issue could lie in the conflict between DF and roll back .rx. If you have roll back.rx installed prior to DF, then DF's installtion may not be complete, because you did not see its icon on system tray. You could try this : delete rollback, reinstall DF and run it, to see what has evolved from there on. Good luck.

9. theshadow247

i have never tryed deepfreeze and rollback rx together.i havnt tryed d/f for about three months sins having the icon not showing problem.i think ill giive it a try again.this time if it doesn't work ill contact support...

10. poirot

poirot Registered Member

theshadow247, why on earth ShadowUser should be

than other similar products?

I run shadowUser without
    AutoCommit
    and
    AutoExclude
    options, thereby everytime i make a reboot ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING GOES.
    This way there's no phantomatic/possible link for any hook/link for malwares of any type.

You say:
    Why,if you use your pc WITHOUT these your pc will SAVE automatically what you're doing?

Are you sure you got it actually using SU and not by any chance when NOT in ShadowUser ? How can you be sure of that?
    It's impossible for me to believe this,lacking any proof of it on your part.

Regards,poirot

11. theshadow247

the reason i say its easyer to get infected using shadowuser is because if you Commit things with out doing a anti-spyware scan or virus scan things can sneak by.nothing is bullet proof.and no i cant give you proof that it was shadowuser'e fault that spyware got on my system.all i know is while using it i ended up with spyware on my comp...

Why,if you use your pc WITHOUT these your pc will SAVE automatically what you're doing?
    isn't its shadowusers job to reset the system back to the state it was in when you whent into shadow mode.if iam not in shadow mode and i have a document in my documents folder that was made outside of shadow mode and i restart my system it will be there after booting up.but in shadow mode it would be gone if i didnt safe it.or auto save it...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
  12. poirot

poirot Registered Member

theshadow247, i like your candid attitude, still you must admit that the
    AutoCommit feature of SU is there to be used when the user is damned certain that what he's copying to disk is absolutely right
    and it cannot in any way ,if it proves otherwise, be a fault of the program.

You have to use it ONLY if there is no doubt about it.

If you're concerned about this, why dont you use ShadowSurfer, which has no option to save anything at all when you reboot?

Alternatevely , why dont you do like i do: just go into the control panel of ShadowUser and proceed to disable both options-Auto Commit and Exclusion List. This way the User will become like the Surfer, no hooks given to possible intruders and nothing saved that could have been malware in nature-for sure.

I understand it might annoy someone the idea of buying a program for 40-50 € because it has those features when ShadowSurfer was just free ,but ,to make the pill less bitter ,should you want to reenact Autocommit one day.....with SU you can.

theshadow247,you're making a big mistake here:
    if you make any document OUTSIDE ShadowUser and you SAVE it,
    ShadowUser/Surfer will automatically acknowledge its existence and will religiously keep it.
    ONLY if you make that document INSIDE SU it will afterwards be gone when you reboot.

Moreover, even if you're running SU enabled and you make a document
    of sorts (and you're in Surfer or SU without commit) you can always
    revert back to the escamotage of using a removable media like a pen drive -nowadays very capable in space- and manually saving to a special folder over there that you can use for this end.
    It will survive reboots,and also disabling of SU, forever,keeping any saved document or any file.

If you watch at SU with the right perspective you'll see that ShadowUser is a lot different from what you thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.