Fantastic!!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by uptone, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uptone

uptone Registered Member

Well I've had my brandy new computere for one whole day and it is now capoot! So I called up my friend the techie and told him my sad story and he said OK he would be over to my house in about an hour.

What a great time I had on this thing. Last night after the techie left, I went on the internet and everything in the world was there. I visited stores news stations, listened to music, watched some movie clips. It was my dream come true. I ended up on this fantastic site called Cotapdug archade
    where I was playing slot machines (for free of course because I don't gamble) and Norton's kept poping up with all kinds of warnings. This was very annoying to me but eventually Nortons quit and even the warnings went away. I was in hog heaven untill my wife came in room and told me that I had been on this computer thing for over 8 hours and if I didn't get off it and come to bed she was going to brain me and so I turned my new toy off and went to bed.

Today I turned my computer on again anxious to get on the internet and NOTHING. All I got was this blinking dash sign and no windows. Well you can immagine how upset I am. So my techie friend comes over to fix it for me.
    And I tell him the story I just told you and a strange smile comes on his face
    (I think he likes me) and what a great man he is because the look of confidence in his face told me that he could fix it for me. So the techie reaches into is pack and pulls out this DVD and says this should do the trick.
    He says to me, you are going to fix this computer. I said WHATo_O He says, turn your computer on and press the eject button on the DVD so you can put this DVD into the holder. Once you put the DVD in the drive, turn the computer back off. I did as he said. Now turn the computer back on and wo and behold instead of getting a blinking dash sign, I get a Welcome to Acronis Recovery and Management. Well to make a long story short, I was flabergasted. He said let me do this because my time is running short I want to get you recovered because I want you to make one of these disks for yourself. He said do you remember those three disks you made yesterday and I said yea and pointed to them. He says now what I am going to do is use this disk that I have in there right now and recover your system with those three disks we made yesterday. (I am completely lost - how in the world can he do this?) He highligts acronis recovery and hits the return key and the process starts. The disk flies open, he removes the disk and places number 3 disk that I made yesterday into the drive, closes the door and the computer starts recovering (Whatever that means?). He tells me you have to recover in the reverse order of the way you created. I am clueless. The disk flies open and he removes disk # 3 and replaces it with disk # 2 closes the door and the process of recovery continues. I am awed. The disk flies open and he replaces disk # 2 with disk # 1 closes the door and the process continues. The disk flies open, he removes disk #1 and Acronis says recovery complete. He turns the computer off and then right back on. I am flabergasted because instead of the dash I was getting the computer boots right up into windows without hesitation with my two program icons just as they were and everything just as it was yesterday before I went onto the internet.

He tells me OK you're turn. I want you to make a recovery disk just like the one I used here so that if this ever happens again you will be able to recover your system using your back up disks. I say OK but what do I have to do.
    He says do you see your Acronis Icon and I say yea. He says click on that Icon. So I do and he says now what I want you to do this time is go into Acronis Disk Utilities. So I press the Acronis Disk Utilities. Another screen comes up and he says look at the left and you see Tools. I say yep! Then
    he says under tools you will see Create Bootable Rescue Disk. I say yep? He says that's what we want, select it. So I do and the process begins. He says now just like yesterday You must have a BLANK DVD or CD for this task. If you don't have a BLANK media it will not work. Do you understand? I say yep! The DVD door pops open and Acronis says insert blank media. I do and within minutes Acronis has made a bootable DVD-RW. In the meantime the techie pulls out a little stickum and writes what the DVD is and
    the door comes open on the DVD and I remove the DVD and place the stickum on it and put it in a case for protecton. The techie says to me Do not confuse this disk with your backup disks. This disk allows you to boot your computer and restore your computer but you need the backup disks to restore. It's the same thing as you have installed on your system drive. But if you can't get to your system drive then you need this disk. Do you understand. I say yep! and the techie says to me I have to go, I'm already late for an appointment but you are good to go, please stay out of trouble. I say OK and think to myself "What in the world did he say and what did he mean by that" Oh well, I got to get back on the internet... Cheers

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Interesting that the Recovery process doesn't have you putting each backup disk in more than once ... like it used to. Can anyone confirm this? This would be really great if the recovery process now calls for each backup disk only once.

3. uptone

uptone Registered Member

I am sorry that I did get the sequence of restore disks wrong when you are restoring with version 11. It was not intensional, I assure you. The first disk you put in is # 3. Acronis reads it and then asks you to insert # 1, then # 2 and then #3. Other versions of Acronis may do it different. Also, and this is very important, you should verify these disks when you make them. Make sure your disks are BLANK and that your disks are not cheepo's. You may waste a lot of disks if you are using bargin basement disks.

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Even that is less disk swaps than I remember when I did a test restore from a backup that was on 3 disks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.