FalsePositive?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acooldozen, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

Eset is coming up with the following.............

01/07/2009 1:53:41 PM Real-time file system protection file D:\autorun.inf INF/Autorun virus PAIROFHEARTS\Compaq_Administrator Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe.

01/07/2009 3:02:21 PM Real-time file system protection file D:\autorun.inf INF/Autorun virus deleted - quarantined PAIROFHEARTS\Compaq_Administrator Event occurred during an attempt to access the file by the application: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe.

Attached Files:

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Why do you suspect this is a false positive alarm?

From looking at the report, it appears that MalwareBytes Anti Malware is attempting to access D:\AUTORUN.INF and ESET NOD32 Antivirus is blocking the access because it has detected a threat in it.

If the D: drive does indeed contain an AUTORUN.INF-deployed piece of malware then this is the correct, expected behavior from ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. acooldozen

acooldozen Registered Member

I don't suspect it is a false positive, but rather asking if it might be a false positive. Here is what MBAM has to offer.......

I think I know what is going on here , but it is complicated to explain .
    The file C:\autorun.inf was part of a previously removed infection on this system (it is just a load point , it is not actually malware) .
    Malwarebytes reads the file contents as part of our scan .
    As the file contents are read ESET sees them as well and a protection alert is triggered .

In any event I would simply delete C:\autorun.inf and this should solve all problems .

--------------------
    Bruce Harrison
    Malwarebytes Lead Researcher

et tu Brute??

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It could be a remnant that is left over from an already removed infection.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.