False Restore -= EMERGENCY =-

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Limerick, Nov 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Yup, we're now on the same CD. I never tried it on a non-Dell so you're the expert on that one. Makes sense because it has the Dell logo, etc.

As to the "other" CD, for several months Dell installed a small utility program on each new drive in addition to the restore partition. It was called Dell OS Recovery CD. When you ran it, it would burn a CD with the OS and necessary drivers for your machine but no other software. This utility only worked one time and then erased itself so you couldn't duplicate the CD's using this program.

You used the CD to restore your OS from scratch.

I 'd bet there were several ways to duplicate the Dell-created CD for those who wanted to try. This was a CD very specific to the machine it was burned on and probably had little value for use on other types of machines if it worked on them at all.

Apparently, some types of concerns arose and Dell discontinued this program.

2. Limerick

Limerick Registered Member

Yes, it's exactly what I want to do, but for that, I need an original XP CD, and no a pre-installed, pre-trialware, pre-ISPsold restore image... ;)

3. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

You need the CD I gave the part number for above.

Instead of wasting your time here before you get the correct CD why don't you log on to Dell Support chat and let them know you have erased your restore partition and need the OS CD? They will send it to you and then you can set up your drive the way you want to.

4. Limerick

You're right, I will.
    It was just a discussion which subject has changed a little ;)

But I wanted to know if my theory about my "non-failed" restoration (my initial problem) could be right or not.

5. bobdat

bobdat Registered Member

Well, Lim, I reread this entire thread several times and I still don't fully understand what's happening with your drive. I don't use the same software as you did so I can't comment on what that may or may not do during a format and re-partitioning.

But, I do have some experience with Dell hard drives. ;)

I can't say I agree with your theory. It makes little sense to me. You may be correct but it's beyond my ability to imagine such a thing actually happening so repeatedly as you describe. But, moving beyond that, if you're willing to try another experiment on your machine.........

1) Let's assume you actually do have a good image of your entire Dell hard drive before it got screwed up.

2) Boot from your Acronis CD and run TrueImage's Add New Disk feature. Format your internal drive completely deleting all partitions you see there.

3) Restore your good image and see what you get. If you get the same results then there's something wrong with the image. You may as well wait for the Dell OS CD and start from scratch.

Let us know what you find.

6. Limerick

Thank you bobdat for your kind help.

In fact now, I did re-create a full new system so everything is right now.

I just wonder if my previous problem was not coming from the fact that some icons leaved despite an XP restoration (what I thought to be a TI problem) was due to some informations stored in "Documents and Settings", which is on another partition and was not restored?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.