false possitive problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Michael__aust, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I ran aol spyware removal software and it detected a case of cool websearch so i told the program to delete the file it found. I later found out that it may be a false possitive and Bubba said it was a valid windows XP file or something. Should I use system restore to bring it back? Or should I just leave it as it is. If I restore it will mean I have to reinstall Ewido. What you think I should do because I dont know? I dont know if the file is important or what it was c:\WINDOWS\nsreg.dat

so please help if possible

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

nsreg.dat:

http://help.netscape.com/kb/consumer/19990303-1.html

it is linked to Netscape , however if it is important to YOU you should keep it, aol antispyware is in fact aluria and it is known false positives king.

let it run with adaware and spybot (you can trust them more) and then you should now you compromised your system is.

if it isn't compromised, your aluria was F/P'ing and you can keep that file.

Inf.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

For security products, you may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

4. Thanks for the reply but I'm not really sure what you mean. I dont use Netscape so should i keep it as it is or restore it anyway?

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Michael,

Are you by chance using Mozilla ?

6. nope im only running Aol browser/IE i know aol uses IE. Yeh but no Im not using mozilla i know i should be but i dotn have it at the moment.

ps thanks fior the help with my coolwebsearch post Bubba.

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Oh....I'm not asking you to switch....I just know that Mozilla also utilizes\creates WINDOWS\nsreg.dat and was just wondering if that's how nsreg.dat got on your PC.

Have you noticed anything out of the ordinary since removing nsreg.dat ?
    If not....I'd keep trucking until something causes a problem and you can then question if the problem is nsreg.dat ?

8. I dont thibk thgere are an problems. If there are I have not noticed any. I know this is slightly off topic but i have spyware guard installed and just downloaded spybot last night because i dotn realy trsut aol spyware now after this incident and spybot includes all that tea timmer stuff and some other protection shpuld i isntall and enable them all or would this conflict with spyware guard. sorry for it beign off topic.

Thansk for all the help i'd be stuck without you guys and gals.

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

IMHO....the quality and protection of TeaTimer and SpywareGuard are fairly equal....to me it's a toss up.

As for your reference to Spybot "and some other protection"....if you are speaking of it's Immunization Feature....I'll list the three functions\protection it provides with comments.

• 1. ActiveX protection....while the quality\database is improving....it does not provide as good of protection as Javacools SpywareBlaster ActiveX protection.
    • 2. Cookie protection....while the quality\database is improving....it does not provide as good of protection as Javacools SpywareBlaster Cookie protection.
    • 3. Restricted Sites protection....while the quality\database is improving....it does not provide as good of protection as Javacools SpywareBlaster Restricted Sites protection or definetly as good of protection as IE-Spyad.

10. what about its browser helper thing. On the imunization screen at the bottom it says about blocking bad sites or something is it worth turning that on?

11. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

IMHO yes, that option should be enabled. Also choose to block silently unless u want to see alerts everytime it blocks something.

12. Is it ok to have tea timer andspyware guard running at the same, or will they conflict with each other and cause problems?

13. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I don't run TeaTimer but according to TopperID, post #14, in this thread,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55991

there seems to be none.

snowbound

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I run both and have placed it on hundreds of PC's without an issue.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.