False positives

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by PeterVO, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterVO

PeterVO Registered Member

Hello,

I'm using HitmanPro (V3.5.1 build 70) but it's the Prevx-detection module that's giving the following false positives :'(:

1) XPSysPad.exe: "High Risk Worm"
    2) WinSuperMaximize.exe: "High Risk Infostealer".

Kind regards,

PeterV

2. mhob

mhob Registered Member

Interesting. Prevx found "clnr0.dll" in my Avast Anti-virus data directory. It claimed it was malware. What was strange, is that I opened the Avast folder, right-clicked and scanned it with Avast. Then the file disappeared!

I have been getting at least 1-2 detections a week that I think are false positives. This is with Heuristics at Medium/Low/Low. Most of the detections said it was "cloaked malware". One time it happened after I upgraded Creative Sound Card drivers.

So I don't know what to believe? Do I really have cloaked malware on my system? Or is it all false positives? I'm tempted to just wipe out my whole drive and reinstall O/S.

3. vlk

vlk AV Expert

<avast>\data\clnr0.dll is the avast virus cleaner module. It is digitally signed and should be safe (if the signature matches).

4. Triple Helix

Triple Helix Webroot Product Advisor

5. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

I'm fairly sure these are false positives but its always worth checking if you could send us a log file using the instructions which Triple Helix has outlined:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=245129

Thanks! :)

In the meantime I will close this thread - please send me PM if you have any problems or questions!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.