False Positive/Spybot Dummies/Alexa

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by aagfr, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

I was scanning with Giant AS and got a warning re a virus in the Spybot Dummies directory. Sure seems to be a false positive. I did a couple of online scans (KAV and DrWeb) and it came up negative.

As a newcomer to NOD32, I have no idea what to do to stop the NOD32 warning windows from popping up; and generally, what is it that one is to do with a false positive, in addition to submitting it for analysis.

Attached Files:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

With this issue can you please send an email with a zipped copy of the file to samples@nod32.com and place a link to this thread. If you do not hear from Eset within 3 days (allows for weekends), please advise us here...

We would appreciate if you could keep us in the loop with your progress, as we all learn this way…

Cheers :D

3. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i noticed it too when i ran a scan with nod32 after the latest updates, v.1.953.. i submitted the file to "samples@nod32.com".. here is the entry from my nod32 scanner log:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Dummies\dummy.related.htm - Win32/Adware.Alexa Application

i noticed that there was a "Win32/Adware.Alexa" in the latest nod32 definition-updates..

4. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Same here and latest Spybot beta also flaged it :doubt:

5. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

I had that pop up as well.

Neil

6. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I had the same thing on 2 computers. :eek:

7. Firstshot

Firstshot Guest

8. SteelyDon

SteelyDon Registered Member

I got:

c:\windows\web\related.htm-Win32/Adware.AlexaApplication

c:comm/Spybot\Spybot-Search&Destroy\Dummies\dummy.related.htm-Win32/Adware.AlexaApplication

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

10. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Same here.

11. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive just put the dummies folder in the exclusion area of AMON which allows a spybot scan without any trouble now.However a NOD32 scan picks it up again.Its a shame there isnt some sort of excluder (as there is in AMON)in nod32 settings for on demand scans.
    ellison

12. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Add me to the list as well. Just scanned a client's pc and received same pop up msg from NOD.

Chiana

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I must be lucky,I have not seen this pop up warning yet.

14. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Just got the latest update(NOD32 1.954 (20041221), did a scan, seems it's fixed now. ;)

snowbound

15. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

And if you deleted the Dummies files? Is that a problem? :oops:

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If those dummies files are part of Spybot, I would just reinstall Spybot to put it back the way it was before deleting the files. :)

17. Chiana

Chiana Registered Member

Updated to NOD32 1.954, scanned client's pc and all is well. No more pop ups!

Thanks to the Eset team :D

Chiana

18. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

One of the files deleted was from Spybot, so I'll re-install Spybot. The other was "C:\Windows\$NtServicePack Uninstall$\related.htm.Win32/Adware.Alexa Application". Not much I can do about that. I don't think that's a problem though. Am I right? :doubt:

19. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

1.954, fixed my problem too :D

20. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

For the record, I had sent a zip of the subject file to sample@nod32.com @ 12:03 am on 12/19/04, and received this response @ 2am today. In my view, Eset responded to the problem and my sample submittal quickly and efficiently.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

21. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Was "C:\Windows\$NtServicePack Uninstall$\related.htm.Win32/Adware.Alexa Application" safe to delete or do I need to re-install that file?

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you deleted that file, I would think the only way to get it back would be to reinstall the service pack. On my computer, it's 373 mbs.
    If you don't plan on uninstalling the service pack, it probably doesn't matter. If you try to uninstall the service pack, Windows won't find that info if it it is needed.

If you are using XP, you could try a restore back to a time before that false positive was found.

Best I can do.

23. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

If you are really concerned about the file, try running the system file checker in the command prompt of XP. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt and enter sfc /scannow at the prompt. You will need to have the original XP install disk in the drive.

I deleted the files NOD found as well and haven't noticed any problems yet. I figured I would just leave it. My system is pretty snappy right now :).

Neil

24. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

Well, my computer is running fine. I guess I won't worry about it..

25. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

jon_fl, i would not worry about that file in "$NtServicePack Uninstall$" being deleted.. that is just an uninstaller for some ms patch.. it is highly unlikely that you would ever run an uninstall for a ms patch.. however, in the future, i would not be so quick to delete files that are flagged as malware.. false positives do occur, occasionally..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.