False "License Expired" message

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by leorob, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leorob

leorob Registered Member

This post may be a little long but refers to a very serious problem I have encountered.
    System: Windows Vista 32 bit Nod 32 v4 fully licensed.

Recently tried to open a Microsoft Word Document and got message that the file might be infected with a virus and would not open.

At the very same time the Nod32 Icon in the system tray turned red. Clicking on the red icon revealed that the update option was grayed out and disabled. Double clicking opened the normal window with the message that the license had expired. In addition, the link to upgrade to the full version did not work.

To be clear, my license has NOT expired.

I tried a scan with another online product (safety.live.com) and during that scan the icon turned green again and all seemed OK. I could even now open the Word documents.

A scan then with Nod32 came out clean.

Now, two days later, the same thing has happened. I can find no reference to this problem anywhere else and hope forum members can help.

Thanks in advance.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The "upgrade to full version" option is not present in the full version of EAV/ESS. Did you have a trial version installed in the past?

3. leorob

leorob Registered Member

No, this was a full licensed version downloaded directly from the Eset web with my username and password.

4. Marcos

If possible, please post here some screeenshots. For instance, I have no clue as to what you mean by "clicking on the red icon revealed that the update option was grayed out and disabled."

5. leorob

leorob Registered Member

I will try to be more clear. Unfortunately screen shots will be impossible until this happens again since once again, after over 1 hour the system reverted to apparent health.
    To clarify about the clicking icon:
    When the normally green icon is is the system tray and one Right clicks on it a menu comes up with 4 choices:
    1. Open Window
    2. Computer Scan
    3. Update
    4. About

When this problem is active, the Right click menu has the "computer scan" and "update" choices unavailable or grayed out.

When one double clicks the icon the normal Nod32 window appears.
    When this problem is active, double clicking opens a red colored window saying that protection is not active and license has expired. It is on this window that the "upgrade to full version" appears and clicking it does nothing.

I hope this clarifies. You should also know that I build computers and do all the IT for my office and am not a novice.

Hope you can help. I'm acutally surprised I have seen no mention of a similar problem anywhere on the net.

Thanks

6. Renegade_Warrior

Renegade_Warrior Registered Member

A couple of things here.

- 1) You did not specify if you are running NOD32 Smart Security or NOD32 Anti-Virus (not that it really matters)

- 2) As I'm sure you are probably aware, Anti-Virus programs are not Specifically designed to detect the Full range of Malware and other parasites as they are primarily Anti-Virus programs.

It's possible that some form of Malware might have gotten past NOD32 and caused this problem as disabling Anti-Virus and other protection programs is typical of some forms of Malware. Although I haven't heard of any that temporarily disable then re-enable them.

It might be best to visit the Malware Removal sub-forum over at the SWI Forums so as to make sure that nothing unwanted is residing on your system.

You'll need to download and install MalwareByte's Anti-Malware, then run a quick scan and save the log for posting in the Malware Removal forum along with a description of the problem you are having. You will also want to use the lastest version of HiJackThis from TrendMicro and include the resulting log file with your post.

I hope this provides the help you are looking for.

7. Marcos

I wouldn't agree with that, nowadays an antivirus program must detect all kind of threats. Of course, one should understand what a threat is, one may deem cracks or joke program threats even though they aren't.

8. Renegade_Warrior

Yes, they must detect all kinds of threats, but there are still losts of threats out there that won't be detected by any single AV program either.

There is not one program out there that can detect all threats.

If there was, then the problem with drive by installs, BotNets and all the other crap would not be as bad as it currently is.

I've been using NOD32 AV for over two years now and and I am also involved in the Security Community dealing with Malware and other threats.

Dealing with such, I am very much aware of what is out there and what constitutes a threat. I also know that you can't depend on any single program for complete system protection.

I'm sure the Owner of Wilders Security Forum would agree as Last I knew, he is (or at least was) a member of the Spywareinfo Forums. (SWI)

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I hadn't the pleasure to meet you in the "Security Community". :isay:

<S>

10. Renegade_Warrior

I use a different name over at the SWI Forums. :)

Been a member there for a few years now and I if I recall correctly, you were a member over there. Although I don't recall if you used the same name there or not.

SWI has been through a lot in the last few years.

I recall at one point, the SWI Forum had to be redone causing members to have to sign up again as new members. Mike Helan hasn't been seen in awhile now and cnm recently had to get a new domain for the SWI forums as the old domain was in Mike's name and nothing can be done with the old domain until he shows up again.

I would not have mentioned that you, other than that Marcos with his reply kind of implied that NOD32 should detect everything which in turn would imply that there would be no need for other forms of protection besides NOD32.

My original reply to this thread was to offer a possible explanation to the Ops problem and a means of checking to be sure their system did not have some other hidden cause.

It was not my intention to stir things up and possibly cause a problem.

As the old saying goes, "Open Mouth and insert Foot"

11. leorob

leorob Registered Member

Despite all the "extraneous" discussion in this thread, please be aware that I had already run scans from both Malewarebytes and safety.live.com.
    Nothing was found.
    Here is more to the story.
    I restored the computer (via a disk image of an installation that I know to be clean).
    Upon that restoration, In attempting to open any of my Word documents I got a message that the particular file was unavailable. At the same time, the Nod32 anti-virus (not Smart Security) icon was once again red and clicking it gave the same "license expired" message.
    Once the Nod32 had updated itself, the icon was green and the Word files were once again openable.
    So, I don't know what to make of any of this.

12. bjevers

bjevers Registered Member

I just booted my computer this morning and I am getting a notice from NOD32 v4.0.424.0 that my license expired 14386 days ago on 12/31/1969. My license is valid until 12/02/2009. Everything was working fine yesterday, so I restored my computer with Acronis True Image to the state it was in yesterday morning, but I am still getting the notice. This is a new install as of last week of Windows 7 x64 RC and the NOD32 I installed was the registered version I downloaded from Eset's website. I reentered my license information, but that did not fix it. Is there something wrong with Eset's server? I had test mode enabled in advanced update setup, don't know if that has something to do with the issue.

Thanks...Brian

13. spd_demon

spd_demon Registered Member

I'm now getting this message on all my version 3 clients as well. Hasn't showed for the 4 clients yet. Any ideas folks?

14. bjevers

bjevers Registered Member

Just an update. I turned off enable test mode and installed build 437, but I am still getting the license expired message. I will also state my license is for Eset Smart Security, but it should work with NOD32 also.

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Former ESET Support Rep

There was a problem with an update server, it has been fixed and should have cleared up by now. If it hasn’t all you have to do is wait, once it checks in with the appropriate update server and receives the correct expiration date, the problem will be resolved. It should not take more than 24 hours. Rest assured that you product is still current and actually on the current virus definitions. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.