fake disabled state

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by hojtsy, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

I have used PG 2.0 full for months. Lately it started to behave "interestingly". Approx 30% of boots the icon is gray and the GUI reports driver failure. All tabs are empty on the GUI. Tests indicate that protection is enabled, even though the GUI reports disabled. I can not kill or End Task protected softwares. See the attached screenshot where PG came up as disabled still the softwares are protected. Reboot usually restores the normal state with all the checksums and protection. This may be the same as experienced by D&C in the thread "all is gone".
    -hojtsy-

Attached Files:

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Hojtsy - Very, very similar. :doubt: But only way I could get info on the GUI tabs back to normal was to go into SAFE mode and copy .dat files back to SYSTEM32 directory.

When did you first notice the problem? Upon a reboot?

3. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

The problem persist. Any ideas are welcome.
    Interestingly this symptom started to occur after I removed several unrelated items (such as TDS) from the boot process. Is it possible that PG GUI starts too soon, before the driver is fully initialized, and it can not query the driver state?
    -hojtsy-

4. Dazed_and_Confused

See Rodehard's post here about defragging.

5. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

It happened again today all the same. I did some testing. Restarting the GUI (procguard.exe) did not help. I was unable to restart the usermode process (DCSUserProt.exe), because I was unable to terminate it, even though the GUI reported all protection disabled.
    -hojtsy-

6. Dazed_and_Confused

Sorry to hear about your problems, Hojtsy. :'( I'm sure you'll get everything going again. Let me know how you do it, and if you are able to do it without going into SAFE mode.

BTW, I have a batch file which I use to backup my PG .dat files daily. Sounds like it's my turn next... :rolleyes:

7. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Even though if the GUI can sometimes not interact with the driver, mostly the driver will still be there doing it's thing (it doesn't need anything except the pguard.dat file to function) . It is a strange thing I must admit, thanks for posting the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.