Failure to read from sector: any workaround?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Chalky, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chalky

Chalky Registered Member

Hi,

I'm running the trial version of Acronis TI8 and each time I create an image I get Error code 0x101F4 and a message to the effect that the program "failed to read from sector 448,311 of the hard disk". Retry results in the same message, but if I click "Ignore" the image is created, apparently without further problems.

I would like to schedule image creation for when I'm not at my computer, but clearly with this problem I have to be there to click "Ignore"! Is there any way of getting the program to ignore this sector, or any bad sectors, in advance? o_O

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi,

If the trial version you are using isn't Build 791 then download this latest version and try that. Note, however, that the trial version of TI doesn't allow you to restore the system partition of your HD.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Chalky,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Besides the Menorcaman's advice I would also recommend you to check your disk (please right click on the disk in "My Computer", choose "Properties" -> "Tools" -> "Check now"). Please check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box. If the problem remains please create Acronis Report (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317) and send to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. LRR81765

LRR81765 Registered Member

I have this problem as well, using the full version of TI 8, build 800.
    It would be nice to have an option that allows you to ALWAYS ignore this sector when imaging the drive.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It would be much wiser to use either Scandisk with the Thorough option (Win9x) or Error Checking with the Search for and recover bad sectors option on your hard drive. By marking out the bad sectors, you are less likely to lose any more information, and you won't get the error message from True Image.

Bad sectors can be a sign of a drive that will fail soon. If bad sectors appear again after you have done the above, it's time to do a backup and buy a new drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.