failsafe wake on wan

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikeo1313, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

WOL - failsafe WOW {wake-on-wan}

-------------

WOL {wake-on-lan} is pretty trivial, proper equiptment configuration (bios), forwarded ports {if behind NAT} and all should work fine.

Before switching ISPs I was able to perform a WOW without a problem, consistenly.

I come to understand there are 2 things, atleast, that can compromise a successful WOW event, besides the trivial.

1. the UDP packet enroute can be dropped and/or mistaken for a threat by routers. {packet never arrives to destination}
    2. certain routers, I particularly remember hearing of a Netgear router that will not forward the udp anywhere if it came from the WAN. {packet arrives & shows on log, but isn't forwarded due to HW/firmware}

WOW can consitently work in a couple of different ways it seems and for each if you can give more insight to them, that would be great:

1. I've heard of certain routers having the WOL functionality built-in from the manufacturer, I imagine these cost upwards from $400, and aren't available in local stores.
    If you happen to know of particular models that have this functionality built-in, please mention some.. not rigged routers pls.

2. I heard of someone that has a router powered by Linux, who complied a WOL tool for the router, he telnets to the router and issues the command. I never followed up with this individual, but, quite frankly didn't like the idea of tinkering or toiling with router firmware, since there aren't no clear cut, specific, consice, simple, no-headache guides that don't pose a substancial compromise into leisure time.

From a customization standpoint I assume you can do either of the following:

a. with a linux based router, update the firmware to telnet to it and have a wol software built into it..
    Anyone ever run into a simple step-by-step foolproof guide for this?

or

b. with a router with built in usb storage port, put a gum pack OR regular flash memory.
    That has an embedded/portable version of Linux,, ssh into that,, and run the magic packet tool.

Again, does anyone got a simple step-by-step foolproof guide for either using the gum pack and/or flash memory?

For those that are interested or can put this high on their priority list / wants to / has time to make wow work, here are some links that may help you, unfortunately, I'm not well versed with Linux and found the information kinda intimidating + gave me the preception it will take a considerable time investment to make this work, which I don't have much of lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
    NSLU2
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
    Slug os
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/HomePage
    gum pack
    www.gumstix.com

If you can let us know how things went, give advice,,, that would be great also. :thumb:

2. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

maybe Wake on Wan doesn't interest anybody...

can anyone attest or recommend a tool that can wake-up a lan machine thats sleeping and/or on standby?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.