failsafe wake on wan

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mikeo1313, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

WOL - failsafe WOW {wake-on-wan}

-------------

WOL {wake-on-lan} is pretty trivial, proper equiptment configuration (bios), forwarded ports {if behind NAT} and all should work fine.

Before switching ISPs I was able to perform a WOW without a problem, consistenly.

I come to understand there are 2 things, atleast, that can compromise a successful WOW event, besides the trivial.

1. the UDP packet enroute can be dropped and/or mistaken for a threat by routers. {packet never arrives to destination}
    2. certain routers, I particularly remember hearing of a Netgear router that will not forward the udp anywhere if it came from the WAN. {packet arrives & shows on log, but isn't forwarded due to HW/firmware}

WOW can consitently work in a couple of different ways it seems and for each if you can give more insight to them, that would be great:

1. I've heard of certain routers having the WOL functionality built-in from the manufacturer, I imagine these cost upwards from $400, and aren't available in local stores.
    If you happen to know of particular models that have this functionality built-in, please mention some.. not rigged routers pls.

2. I heard of someone that has a router powered by Linux, who complied a WOL tool for the router, he telnets to the router and issues the command. I never followed up with this individual, but, quite frankly didn't like the idea of tinkering or toiling with router firmware, since there aren't no clear cut, specific, consice, simple, no-headache guides that don't pose a substancial compromise into leisure time.

From a customization standpoint I assume you can do either of the following:

a. with a linux based router, update the firmware to telnet to it and have a wol software built into it..
    Anyone ever run into a simple step-by-step foolproof guide for this?

or

b. with a router with built in usb storage port, put a gum pack OR regular flash memory.
    That has an embedded/portable version of Linux,, ssh into that,, and run the magic packet tool.

Again, does anyone got a simple step-by-step foolproof guide for either using the gum pack and/or flash memory?

For those that are interested or can put this high on their priority list / wants to / has time to make wow work, here are some links that may help you, unfortunately, I'm not well versed with Linux and found the information kinda intimidating + gave me the preception it will take a considerable time investment to make this work, which I don't have much of lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
    NSLU2
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
    Slug os
    http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/SlugOS/HomePage
    gum pack
    www.gumstix.com

If you can let us know how things went, give advice,,, that would be great also. :thumb:

2. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

maybe Wake on Wan doesn't interest anybody...

can anyone attest or recommend a tool that can wake-up a lan machine thats sleeping and/or on standby?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.