Failing shields up using Ghostsurf

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by The Beast, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Beast

The Beast Registered Member

I need some help. I am trying out ghostsurf 2005 and I went and tried shields up on grc.com and it is saying that I am not stealthed, therefore I failed the test. Most of the ports are closed but there are a few that are open. Before I installed this I was perfectly stealthed. Once I turn ghostsurf off I again pass the shields up test. I am using netgear router along with zonealarm. Does anybody know why I fail the shields up test using ghostsurf? Thanks for your help.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

This is because the test is being run on the proxy used by GhostSurf. If you wish to test your firewall, then you need to connect to the test site directly.

Note also that while GhostSurf will conceal your IP address from sites you visit, it will do nothing to conceal your online activities from your ISP. See the comments about GhostSurf in the Easy way to Block your Ip address thread.

3. The Beast

Thanks for the reply. One more question though. My system passed the shields up test with only my firewall. Does that mean I am still protected even though it fails when ghostsurf is loaded?

4. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Yes . The reasoning behind failing due to the proxy is because it is probing the address GhostSurf is operating from . Not you . So , you are safe . With it off and firewall up and you pass , you are in great shape . Does does help to clear the air a bit ? Hope so and Good luck

5. The Beast

Great. Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.