Failed to write data to image file. DVD+R media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dan409, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dan409

dan409 Guest

Trying to create a full Image on a memorex 8x DVD + R and I get the following error message.

Failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason might be poor media quality.

I am using a new NEC burner 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 16X DVD-R, 6X DVD-RW, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW (with the latest firmware.)

I thought DVD+R was supported by TI 8 bld 800 ?
    Is there some brand of DVD's that TI likes in particular o_O

2. frankb_c

frankb_c Guest

Dan409,
    Read my posting "Imaging c:\ partition to DVD+R".
    And come sit on the fence post with me....waiting.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dan409,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If it doesn't help please send a letter with the description of the image task you want to perform to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

It sound like you dident format the dvd's

:D

5. mr_movie_dog

mr_movie_dog Registered Member

I have had this same problem and it's not the poor media issue as I have tried several different types of media, +/-R or RW's, and all quality stuff too but if you notice it shows your drive as a CD-RW device and expects a CD disc not DVD+/-RW disc. I have tried this on internal drives, external USB2, and on multiple PC's plus it was run from the PC or bootable CD in which it will find the drive but thinks of it as a CD-RW drive and not a DVD+/-RW drive therefore expecting a CD format disc. With this in mind would an ASPI or SPI driver fix this problem?

This looks like a nice package compared to Ghost but backing up to 16 CD's verses 3 DVD's is not appealing to me so hope this gets fixed.

6. dan409

dan409 Guest

I went back into windows to do a verify image in TI and it checked out fine.
    As I pushed the eject button on the NEC DVD burner a popup window came up from Roxio easy CD/DVD creator. The prompt asked if I wanted to make this disk readable for all types of hardware. I clicked yes and I believe it wrote some sort of ISO file to the DVD.
    So I figure what the heck, maybe TI will read the disk now when booting with their startup disc. Shure enough it is now reading my .tib file that I created.
    I have not tried to restore the image yet, but I am going to.
    That was my whole purpose for purchasing this prog. I will post the results !
    Wish me luck...... :)

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Did you format the disks with your packet writing software before trying to use them? Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 and 7 will format DVD+R disks as well as DVD+RW and DVD-RW. Most packages only format the +RW and -RW disks.

Roxio packet writing software is called Drag-to-Disc. Nero's is called InCD.

8. dan409

dan409 Guest

Yes I did format the disc (DVD+R) before creating a full sys image. But that didn't make the disc readable when using TI startup media. It wasn't until I found what's called Drag-to-Disc advanced eject options and selected the IOS file system(this disc will be readable on any computer system) option that made the DVD readable w/TI startup media.

Here is my procedure that has worked for me

1) Open Roxio easy CD/DVD ver.6 and format DVD+R using drag-to-disc.

2) Open TI 8 bld 800 and create full system image to DVD+R. Upon completion of creating the full system disc, as soon as I go to eject the disc.. drag-to-disc will pop up and give me the option of making the DVD readable on any computer system. I click OK and it creates an ISO file that makes my DVD+R readable with the TI startup media.
    I have not tried to restore from this DVD but I will today and post the results here. It check's out fine when I run TI check image... Hopefully it will restore ok....We'll see a bit later...

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I'm not familiar with Roxio software but would guess that it's ability to packet write to DVD+R media is something of a kludge. Clearly, "formatting" write once media is impossible. Chances are that when "formatting" with Roxio Drag-to-Disk it's writing some sort of leader that sets the DVD+R up as a multi-session disk. Once the current session finishes (e.g. TI has created the image), ejecting the disk will result in the prompt to make the DVD readable on any system. Answering "Yes" will then write the leadout and close the disk to any further recording sessions.

If the above is true then it's not a whole lot different to standard multi-session recording and certainly not "packet writing" as we know it. Still, the kludge seems to work so well done Roxio!!

Regards

10. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

dan409

Did you use the quick format, as that will stop the writeing of drag and drop.

thats how i do it and works ok.

full format no good with easy cd creator..

11. Blastoff

Blastoff Guest

I was having the same troubles. TrueImage seemed to be seeing my
    dvd burner (sony dru 510a) as a cd burner.
    It would keep spitting out the dvd's and asking for a cd.

I came in here and learned about the Build #800 update so I registered
    my copy of TI and then dl'd the update. Along with updating TI to build 800
    I also went and updated to the latest firmware for my dvd burner.

After rebooting I decided to give it another shot.
    One thing I noticed is that my dvd burner would sometimes show
    up in explorer as a cd drive. Other times it would show as a dvd drive.
    I figured out that when it was empty it would show as a dvd drive
    and with a blank unformatted dvd inside it would show as a cd drive.

Anyway, I tried formatting the dvd 1st. I just happened to have
    a copy of Ahead's InCD. Not for nothing Acronis, but I consider it false
    advertising when you say your product can burn images to dvd and don't tell people up front that they actually need to use a separate program to allow
    the image to be burned to dvd...so technically, TI can't burn to dvd's by itself
    and saying on the box that it can is just plain lying.

Anyway, after I formatted using InCd (format UDF 1.50 ) the dvd burner
    showed as a dvd in explorer. I thought at this point that maybe I was making
    some progress.

I started TI and ran through the wizard of creating an image and choosing
    my D:\ (dvd) as the destination.. sadly it's still showing up as a Cd drive.
    When I click Proceed though, it didn't spit the dvd out, yet the little window popped up saying to insert a Cd. I clicked ok and didn't do anything else.

To my amazement it started going through the process of creating an image
    and I'm assuming that's it's burning it to my dvd.

It's still going so I really don't know for sure if I've got it worked out
    or not.
    Acronis has certainly made some progress since version 6, but I think they
    still have some work to do.

-Jack A.

12. blastoff

blastoff Guest

well, I finalized my dvd.
    I restarted my pc with the TI disk and when TI was loaded (pre windows XP)
    I chose to restore an image.
    I selected both the destination and file archive. I can see that TI
    broke the archive into 2 parts each being about 2 gb.

Now I have to figure out how to restore this image to my c:\ .
    So far choosing part 1 ended with "corupted file" and starting out with
    part 2 ended the same way.

13. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

I believe that you will have more success using DVD-RW media with InCD and True Image. You say that you used DVD+R, this will not work.

14. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That is correct. InCD will only work with DVD+/-RW media. Roxio 6 & 7 Drag-to-Disc will format DVD+R disks as well, but it's unique in this ability as far as I know.

15. blastoff

blastoff Guest

Thanks Beenthere and JMK.

Just so there's no confusion though, Incd does format DVD+R.
    I can format Dvd+R with InCd and then copy files to it.
    But I guess for some reason, TI doesn't like Dvd+R disks that have
    been formatted w/ InCd ?
    I don't know about anyone else but I'm not too happy with TI 8.0
    at all. I just don't know of what else I can try. Norton Ghost
    is giving me problems suddenly, that's why I bought TI 8.0.
    In some way's it's better than GHost, but in some ways it's worse.

-Jack A.

16. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

OK, but let me add a comment. Regardless of whether you can format DVD+R or not, packet writing software (such as InCD) was originally designed to maintain a smooth flow of data by writing to RW disks. That is the only media that I would use with InCD. As always YMMV.

17. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jack,

I have to say that I agree with beenthereb4 and jmk94903; InCD cannot UDF format and packet write to DVD+R media. I'm not sure what you are actually doing when you say you formatted and copied files to DVD+R with InCD. However, I can but refer you to an extract from the InCD help file (see below).

Regards

Attached Files:

• InCD.jpg
      InCD.jpg
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.