Failed to read from Sector

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JLMann, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLMann

JLMann Registered Member

When I start Acronis TrueImage 8.0 build 826, it scans my harddrives and then displays an error screen which reads as follows: "Failed to read from the sector 218,129,509 of the hard disk 2." If I press ignore, it redisplays the same message but for sector 218,129,637. It keeps finding other sectors until I press cancel instead of ignore.

I have scanned (with auto repair enabled) both of my hard drives using right click, tools, etc. No errors were found on either drive. But I keep getting the same error. What do I do to fix thiso_O?

I have also noted that TrueImage shows a very strange set of partitions for my D: Drive. Its only an NTFS formatted 20G drive with just one partition, but Acronis thinks its a Huge TerraByte drive with three partitions! I have attached a screen picture of Acronis thinks it is. Boy is that strange! FWIW, I have no other trouble with this drive at all.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JLMann,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317), also please make a screen shots of your acrions in "Create Image" wizard and screen shot of the error message, then send all the informations to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Irina Shirokova. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. F123456

F123456 Guest

Did you come up with a solution? I am having a very similar issue, except that the sector # is preceeded with a - sign, and Acronis seems to think it's a 2TB drive, instead of a 36GB drive. FWIW, the drives are actually 3 SCSI drives on a raid controller, working as a single drive.

4. JLMann

JLMann Registered Member

I replied to support via e-mail as they requested. No reply yet. Stay tuned here - I'm sure they will get back to me. They are a terrific bunch.

5. Acronis Support

Hello JLMann,

I sent the reply to you. If you didn't receive it please let me know.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

6. Sewster

Sewster Registered Member

Hello! Irina,
    Please, also, send the reply you received from Acronis Support to me. I am having the exact same problem as you are having. My second drive is a 200 Gig harddrive (Western Digital), but Acronis is showing it as a Terbite (not sure of spelling) broken down exactly as yours.

I've contacted Acronis Support, and have sent them numerous information from my computer, plus ran a full Checkdisk with Auto Repair checked. Still I received the error with Bad sectors, several infact. Their answer to me was that I have Netware installed and that this conflicts with Acronis. I'm baffeled as to what they are talking about. This is a new computer with very little loaded. I've checked through everything on this system and I can't find Netware. I do have Trend Micro Internet Security loaded, but everything has been disabled except the Anti-Virus. We have a good router with firewall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Sewster

7. Acronis Support

Hello Sewster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply? I will find out how the investigation is going and what the current state is.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Sewster

Hello! Ilya,
    Thank you for your response to my last post. The Acronis
    request # is: [Acronis #235159] Question on bad sectors.
    I've been corresponding To Ivan Belinsky.

Since my last post on this thread, I've checked out the drive in question, that Acronis is having trouble reading sectors. It is a Seagate ST3200822A, 200 gig hard drive. I went to Seagate's web site and ran their utility program to check the integrity of this drive. It took a little over an hour. The report was that the drive had no errors and was functioning properly. Also, per request of Ivan, I did a thorough Checkdisk of this drive with "repair" checked. After completed, Windows also said there were no errors and that this was a "healthy" drive. So, I'm beginning to think that there may be a bug in Acronis. Ivan seemed to think that my Trend Micro anti virus software was causing conflicts. I'm not sure.
    Anyway, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Sewster

9. Acronis Support

Hello Sewster,

I suggest you to format your D:drive and try to create the image. The Acronis Report file you sent us shows that there are some errors on your D:drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Sewster, unless you have a good backup of that drive (or if you are prepared to scratch it), I would not do that yet.

First off, make sure that you and Irina are talking about the same drive and that the report she is talking about is for your drive (remember - the thread was started by a JLMann, so things can get mixed up).

Secondly, since Seagate's utility did not find any physical problems with your drive, I can only assume that Irina is refering to logical errors on the drive; that is, something in wrong with the partition table and that is why Acronis reports those strange partition sizes.

Re-formatting is certainly one way to fix that, but the interesting question is *how* did the partition information become corrupted in the first place?

Was it after a full drive restore? A partition restore? A partition resize? Was it with an Acronis program?

11. Sewster

Hello! MiniMax,

Your response is most welcome! I feel certain that Irina and I are talking about the same drive, a second Hard drive on the system. However, the drive number is actually F:, drives D: and E: are DVD/CD-Roms. Not sure if this makes any difference.

This drive is brand new as well as the computer, never had a Full drive restore, a Partition restore, or a partition resize, The only data now residing on this drive is a Full system image of my C: drive created by Acronis. This can easily be copied to an external or DVD (not much on C: drive, either).

If the second drive needs to be reformated, I guess this would not be a major problem. How is this done? I'm a newbie to XP Pro. so would need some direction.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

12. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Okay, if it's a new. extra drive and all you have on it is an TIB-file of your C-drive, then do copy that TIB to a DVD (if you feel it is worth preserving) and reformat the complete drive. Easiest way to reformat:
    1. Click start button.
    2. Choose "Run..."
    3. Enter "diskmgmt.msc"
    4. Click on the disk (the partition). Make SURE it is the correct disk!!
    5. Right-click, chose "Format..."

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Or open Windows Explorer, right click on the drive in question and select "Format".

Regards

14. Sewster

Thanks! MiniMax and Menorcamen,
    I will do a reformat of the second drive. Hopefully this will solve the problem of the "bad sectors" and Acronis reading "strange partition sizes". I'll report back my findings. Thanks so much for your help! :)
    Sewster

15. Sewster

Hello!

This is Sewster back to report that doing a reformat of my second hard drive, D: has solved my problem of Acronis reading bad sectors and also the strange set of partitions.

Acronis originally read it as a Huge TerraByte drive with three partitions! Since the reformat, Acronis is now reading my system configuration correctly as only 2 drives: C: as 80 gig, and D: as 200 gig. Apparently, the errors in the partition table on the drive was causing Acronis to read the size incorrectly. Now life is COOL again!

Thanks Minimax, Menorcaman, and Acronis Support for helping me solve this problem!! :D :D :D

Sewster

16. Acronis Support

Hello Sewster,

We are glad that your issue has been solved. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.