Failed to read data from the disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yamaneko, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yamaneko

yamaneko Registered Member

Suddenly TI has started report this when I trying to do incremental backup:

I have done chkdsk c: /r and there were no errors. Anything I can do?

Windows Vista, True Image 11 Home

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If it's been working fine but suddenly won't, then my guess, and it's just a guess, is that the sector in question is bad but not bad enough that chkdsk and Windws can't read it after repeated attempts (I think they do 7 retries before deciding a sector is unreadable). However, the secotr is bad enough that ATI can't handle it (maybe ATI only does 3 retries or something else less than Windows and chkdsk, which would explain why ATI fails to read/write on disks that other programs using Win OS calls handle just fine).

You could try moving the file using that sector and then marking the sector bad if you have low level disk manager. And then see if ATI can handle the disk okay. If so, then yuo can get a new disk or a new backup program.

3. yamaneko

Thank you.

How can I find out what file use that sector? Any recommendation for low level disk manager?

4. FlopHead

FlopHead Registered Member

You can try to use Acronis Disk Editor included into Acronis Disk Director.

5. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Chkdsk c: /r only checks partition C. However, the error message refers to "hard disk 2", which may not be your boot drive. Perhaps it is referring to your target drive. Have you run chkdsk /r on the other drives and/or partitions?

6. yamaneko

Yes I have, although target drive is different hard disk.

7. dantz

dantz Registered Member

Take a look at your chkdsk logs in Event Viewer. It should be under Application|WinLogon. Are there any errors or bad sectors listed?

If you've already successfully run chkdsk /r on both the source and the target and the problem remains, then I think you'd better contact Acronis technical support. That's an Acronis error message, not a Windows message, so the problem might be due to an unusual software issue rather than an actual hard disk read error. Are you saving to a USB drive? It could also be due to a driver incompatibility or something like that.

You could also try saving the image to a different location, just to see what happens.

Edit:
    Note this similar thread:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=198221

2nd Edit:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=197396

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  8. yamaneko

Well, what now? I do not understand what to do. :oops:
    Screenshot

9. yamaneko

It seems that I fixed this with chkdsk c: /B -command. It find 5 not indexed files (and maybe fixed something else, I did not watch so attentively). Anyway, now I did new full backup without errors :)

I think there were truly some erros in disk because Windows Complete PC failed too. That is why I re-run chkdsk.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.