Failed Port Scan With Comodo Firewall Pro

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by highbids, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highbids

highbids Registered Member

I just did scan at Steve gibson's site shields up & Comodo Firewall Pro failed the test.

Here is where it failed.

Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

How do I change it in Comodo to make it stealthy.

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi highbids. :)

It is very dangerous to use a rule based firewall if you are unsure on setting rules. You may well be left with unproper setup or with no filtering at all. Please read here on ICMP protocol. After that, take a look at this thread.

Cheers. :)

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

The port scan you did was just propably testing your router.
    Go to Run.../cmd and type 'ipconfig' to see what your real ip address is and then verify if it is the same as the one told on Shields Up! scan web page.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  4. highbids

highbids Registered Member

The run command returned this ip address 192.168.1.

The shields up scan showed this ip address 71.235.20.

I left out the last three numbers on both for obvious reasons.

This computer is not the one that has the router, we have
    a separate cable running to it.

5. Jarmo P

It is though an address that belongs to a local area network, the one with 192 starting.
    What the scan was testing is not clearly your computer that is hidden behind something even if it is not a router. I would not be worried the about the scan test results. They are not testing your Comodo firewall.
    I am not much more expert in how to change router settings or what you have in that place to help more how to bypass what you have, but just want to say that I think you are protected.

6. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Indeed, the 192.168.1.x ip address is not assigned by your ISP. It is a private ip probably assigned by a router, or it could be a modem/router combo supplied by your ISP.

A router responding only to pings is really not a big deal, but there should be a way through its web-based interface to have it discard pings. The screenshot I've attached shows where it is in my D-Link router.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have removed some posts,...

I like and encourage replies to posts, but I will not accept personal comments against members.

8. Jarmo P

That is ok Stem. I won't like to get on bad foot with you or cprtech as you both have posted some valuable informations on this forum.
    There was a post by you also in some thread where I got mad thinking it was a moron reply to me, but I am not a very easy person to deal with. I have been known to get mad also to BlitzenZeus. So think of this as an apology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.