Fail to Read Sector - Can't Create Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by awakeningsinc, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awakeningsinc

awakeningsinc Registered Member

When I create an image in Acronis 8 a dialog box opens and reads"
    E000101F4: Failed to read data from the disk.
    Failed to read from sector 1,295,605 of the hard disk1."

I clicked on IGNORE and continued.

Then a similar dialog box opens and reads a similar "Fail to read sector." It is another sector.

NOW I clicked on IGNORE and continued.

Nothing seems to continue.

What can I do to complete creating an image to my external Maxtor USB hard drive?

:rolleyes:

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Have you tried chkdsk /r (not /f option)
    What version of TI ?

3. awakeningsinc

awakeningsinc Registered Member

I am working with version 8, build 786.

I ran chkdsk /r .

It worked!

It took about an hour to run chkdsk /r and complete creating the image for an 80 GB drive.

:)

4. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Is your disk old?
    It's possible that your disk is starting to have problems so if you continue to get sector read errors you should consider a new disk.

Your disk manufacturer website should have diagnostic software which will test the status of your drive.
    An alternative free product which I prefer (it will probably display more data than your disk manufacturer wants you to know) is to be found at:
    http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  5. Skinink66

Skinink66 Guest

I had the same problem and followed the tip about getting the Passmark Diskcheckup. After finding no problems with my physical hard disks I opened TrueImage and watched closly. The problem seems to be with the Maxtor drive. I was getting a hang there when TI was starting up.

Right click on My Computer and click 'manage'. I had to repartition and reformat my Maxtor drive and that seemed to correct my problems at least. Hope this will help a little. I didn't have a ton of info on that drive to worry about having to backup first, as it was my backup drive anyway.

John

6. Bud Pritchard

Bud Pritchard Registered Member

Just started using lastest TI after trying trial.
    Creating images on Seagate 160GB USB drive.
    I kept getting corrupt images. Ran chkdsk /f and it found some bad sectors.
    Running TI again I still had problems with corrupt images.
    Finally after running SpinRite I was able to successfully run an image and verify. Looks like spinrite picked up problems chkdsk didn't.
    Same for my wife's laptop I imaged from the Boot disc.

So, from now on i'll check my hard drive with SpinRite before imaging. I will usually image once a month. Or after a software install.

I use a separate backup program for full/incremental cycles on my important data. Even my important data gets separatly burned to DVD-RW quarterly and CD-R at year end.

7. jdzworld

jdzworld Registered Member

is there not a trial version of this spinrite? it gives me the following error: "failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0". i tried cancelling this stupidly(it took me to my c: partition) and it just ended up giving me a bad image after burning many disks. this is a serial ata hd and its brand new as of like 3 months ago. i have no probs w/ anything on this cpu. i did goto error checking and pushed "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" but i still get this error.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jdzworld ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If you use the latest build and get the error message: "Failed to read from the sector 0 of the hard disk 0" please install the below update with disabled logging and see whether the problem persists.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_s_e.exe

If the problem does persist, please enable logging by running the update once more, reproduce the program failure and send the c:\snapapi.log file and Acronis Report (please see Acronis post for the detailed instructions) to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

10. jdzworld

jdzworld Registered Member

thx 4 the help. i figured out (by researching the forums) that i just needed to put a blank zip disc in the drive b4 creating image. all is fine. thx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.