Facebook's New Privacy Settings, Explained

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. encus

encus Registered Member

It is already there in the settings section. Adding this lock icon feature basically is only a shortcut to it :rolleyes: .

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I just logged in to my account. Not something I do everyday. Last visit the old setting were still in place. Today the new settings are in place. I spent several minutes going over them. I really have no complaints. Everything seem to be covered. It looks to be well thought out and makes sense. Of course I am sure there will be those who disagree. Sometime change is a good thing and I believe this falls in to that category.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

This is actually funny. Facebook changes privacy policy for the 3,147th time. If ythey're not changing the policy, they're changing where you make the changes. Then, it's not where you make the changes but you have to hit a 'commit' button and then next time it's automatic and then - they'll change it all again. Rinse and repeat. Slime.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

@LockBox - The Facebook Privacy Policy has changed. Although the new privacy controls are too granular for many to understand they are there.
    Many has positive uses for Facebook, as I do. Do you have something to offer to the readers of this thread that might be useful ?

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Nobody forces anyone to use Facebook.I personally use it to keep in touch with family that lives thousands of miles away as well as friends.I get alot of valuable information in my news feeds dealing with the many hobbies I'm involved in.The privacy settings are not complicated to use and set.I've had "0" issues with privacy or with their security settings.

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There are two issues with Facebook:
    1. Privacy and security settings related to the content you post on Facebook and who can see it (i.e: friends, friends of friends, everyone, etc). Until now, at least for me, the control Facebook provided was OK, but I don't see any improvement with the new settings.
    2. Privacy issues related to what Facebook can see and do with your content. This is a thing that applies to all "Big Data" providers (not only Facebook).

So while I have no issues (yet) with (1), I have a lot of worries about (2).

9. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I'm fully aware they changed their privacy policies - again. Complete with "democracy" in the form of an aborted "election." I think it is useful to warn people that Facebook changes their privacy policies often, the locations where certain things have to be changed, what is opt-in/opt-out, the list is long.

Sorry I'm not shilling for this out-of-control company. They are Big Data today and getting away with so much - and sometimes not; they don't when people like me speak up. I think that's useful.

I'm happy to know you find Facebook valuable. Some do. Some don't. Those that do not have every right (and responsibility) to explain why - at every opportunity. Just as you have every right to do likewise for the other point of view. All's fair.

Merry Christmas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.