Facebook wants to secretly watch you through your smartphone camera

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hawki, Jun 6, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Facebook wants to secretly watch you through your smartphone camera
    Patent for 'emotion-based technology' granted to offer tailored content and advertising...

Facebook wants to get up close and personal with its users after a patent was revealed detailing a desire to secretly watch users through their webcam or smartphone camera, spying on your mood in order to sell you tailored content or advertisements.

The purpose behind the invasive idea is to analyse people through the camera in real time while they browse online and if it recognises you looking happy, bored or sad, it would deliver an advert fitting your emotion..."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/facebook-wants-secretly-watch-you-through-your-smartphone-camera-1625061

2. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

"If you were forlorn, for example, it would be able to serve an ad to perk you up, or know what products you had previously looked at online and put them under your nose at just the right time."

This is the biggest load of crap I've seen recently, maybe before. Good, maybe this revelation will be instrumental in bringing Facebook down and out. The thing is, so many people are brainwashed into thinking this monster is a necessity in your computer life!

Edit: Geez....

https://arstechnica.com/business/20...-advertisers-target-teens-who-feel-worthless/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2017
  3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You would hope that this is fake news, but I'm afraid FB is actually planning to make this real life. Very disturbing, and they need to be stopped.

4. Reality

Reality Registered Member

As can be expected, there is nothing that's surprising as to what FB will stoop to. What IS surprising is that the masses just keep on flocking to this utterly stupid and ridiculous medium - but then that's what you get with the "me" generation.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I have blocked Facebook from accessing the camera on my smartphone.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I'm happy I'm using a dumb phone. :p

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What's right is now wrong. What's wrong is now right.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's ultimately a tool that's only partially in your control. It has its uses, not just for the "me generation": https://www.business.com/articles/f...ting-older-what-does-this-mean-for-marketers/

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

But hey, if you're sad, don't you want ads for chocolate?

:-*

10. Reality

..and that has everything to do with why we have an endless supply of horror stories like this. Once people have accepted this reversal, they make it worse for those of us who have not. You might as well spit into the wind than to get them to change back, as they see their addictive social media idiocy as some kind of progressive improvement. The probability is you just can't fix stupid.
    "Only partially in your control" should be reason enough to stay far far away from FB and the like. As for the me generation - it's everywhere and it doesn't only pertain to the younger (if that's what you were alluding to). In fact Ive seen some of the most imbecilic behavior coming from people who you would hope would have developed some maturity by now. Yes the older gen. These same people air - for the whole world to see -what should be private family matters - making reconciliation near impossible. That's just one of many offensive things I dislike about FB.

I have a dumb phone too, but that's not all you need to stop the monster.

11. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Another reason why you should stay away from social media...lack of privacy which can be detrimental to your well-being.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well said. We're living Idiocracy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

13. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Is this only when your are connected to facebook with your smart phone? I never connect with my phone but am going to put some black tape over the camera abyway:cautious:

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Sure, 13 negative posts about Facebook against almost 2 billion actively monthly users... Of course all stupid and ridiculous...

15. Reality

Yep, it's not improving is it. And what is hard to fathom is that people forget that this monster loves to give with one hand and take away with the other. I would never ever trust the Suckerbergs of this world, nor what they say. They don't get to these positions unless they tow the line. Teens would feel a whole lot better if they put down their tech toys and actually did some good hard slog (what we used to call an honest days work) and parents don't help by being dispensing units.
    Right.
    Some time ago I was doing quite a bit of research on just how pervasive FB is. My understanding from that is that they certainly intend to track you across the web whether you have an account with them or not, or whether you are logged in or not. It would not be a stretch, then, to suspect they could do that. We all know, increasingly webpages are made up of embeddings, and 3rd party sites.
    So.... everyone in the world who speaks against FB knows about Wilders? they know this thread exists and have all registered herewith so they can post in it? Yeah sure. :)......:rolleyes:

Two billion is not a majority and even if it was that doesn't necessarily justify it or make it right.

Your strawman argument (playing the numbers game) is inherently flawed in both directions with both your figures.

Anyone who is willfully blind about the danger of privacy invasions and the implications of it - and who trade it for momentary instant gratification - not only degrade themselves but are a danger to others. Equally strange is someone who comes to a privacy forum and justifies one of the worst privacy invasions in history.

16. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

I can't stand the practice of money-grubbers on a social media platform purportedly doing noble and heroic things strictly for the purpose of generating revenue. Social media is like cigarettes: if you aren't hooked, well gosh, there's a life beyond there actually worth living.

17. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I did not justify any kind of invasion of privacy. Facebook does not force anybody to join their social network, and it is self-evident that by creating an account with your real name you are prepared to share some of your private matters with others. What the article describes is a very serious breach of privacy which would be too risky to implement without notifying the user… A class action against Facebook would be a disaster from a financial point of view and even worse in terms of image.

18. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

A class action against fb? LOL No way would that win. Everybody but M$, Goog, Appl & the like are gnats to fb.

At the very outside the very outside fb might settle. But it'd be like anyone else having a penny dropping & rolling away when paying for gum.

19. Reality

Read my comment to you in post #15 again and holding FB subscribers accountable while not holding FB responsible for their "hard sell" or sneaky tactics isn't helpful either.
    Quoting this is as much use as saying the thief lurking on your property doesn't intend to steel from you. No matter how you roll this dice FB's has well and truly crossed the line just by stating their intentions which are as creepy as it gets. Oh and what a cheek - Suckerburg puts tape over his own mic and cam but certainly hopes no one else does - what hypocrisy.
    That's right and they've got that way because they're untouchable. You don't get that status unless you play ball. Anything brought against these giants is like water off a ducks back and when they do appear to do something honorable I don't for one moment believe it.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

You are speculating about something that hasn't happened yet. I'd be more worried about the NSA and the current state of affairs in the US. Facebook has a lot of issues with privacy, there is no doubt about it, but as I said if you believe there is a threat to your own private sphere, don't join the network, it's as simple as that. What I really find awful, is that custom authorities in the US use Facebook to vet incoming visitors about possible rogue behaviour during their stay in America.

21. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sadly but realistically I take all the 3letters having virtually all information about me & 99.99% of people in the US as a GIVEN. And that the genie's out of the bottle & this ain't no cartoon so he's never getting back in. What bothers me more is businesses having that information. But what I suspect but don't want to acknowledge is that business have their own genie or maybe even shares the same genie with the 3letters.

22. Reality

yet? LOL ironic - but how much evidence do you need? When FB plainly shows their intentions as we have PLAINLY seen here, it's not speculation - let me put it this way - if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck IT IS A DUCK. It is ridiculous for FB to make patents they have no intentions of using and likewise equally ridiculous to expect us to give them a freepass in case they don't. Sad I'm having to state the obvious. The question remains then, what does it actually take for people to wake up about the hideous FB - including the fact that they intend to monitor not only those who have accounts but as many people as they can.

I can assure you I have no intentions of ever joining silly FB where insanity reigns supreme, but unfortunately my choice means nothing to FB so it's not "as simple as that". The fact is FB entices people and the people love to have it so - so again, making subscribers THE problem is building a strawman.

The TLAs and the huge social media giants are all in bed together and are in each others pockets one way or another, even if they put up appearances to be in opposition. I believe this gross overreach is far worse than greed, money and serving relevant ads. It's about ultimate control and monitoring your reaction to that. If you buck the system then you're increasingly branded as a trrst and don't forget how the word trrst has been conveniently changed to be more inclusive - of course slowly and overtime.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.