Facebook: How Do You Set Up a Fake Account?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by PastTense, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PastTense

PastTense Registered Member

I am interested in setting up a fake Facebook account. Apparently Facebook uses various techniques to weed out such accounts (such as asking for phone numbers). So, any advice?

It's weird. I asked this question on warez-bb (the biggest warez forum) and immediately got responses "we're not going to help you so you can trick people into adding you as a friend, and then manipulate them". I would have thought that group would have a different culture.

Instead my interests are more in the line of commenting on articles on the local newspaper site--and they require Facebook to do this. And my current policy is that everything I do online (except for ecommerce/finance and a few groups I have been on for many years) is under a fake name.

Thanks.

2. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

This is my opinion. Creating a fake Facebook account is a violation of Facebooks terms. Just because it's Facebook does not make it OK.

I think this topic should be closed.

http://www.facebook.com/legal/terms

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

That's a fascinating concept. We're becoming so dependent upon interconnectivity and virtual reality that someday a Facebook jail might actually be an effective way to stop certain users from misbehaving, as well as acting as a deterrent to others. And think of it - they could charge fines! This could be a whole new approach to monetizing Facebook services (although I'm not really sure if you could call a jail a 'service').

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

While I understand concerns about violating Facebook's TOS, having multiple accounts is the only way to thwart coerced access by third parties, such as potential employers. Even if Facebook implemented its own "fake account system", aka main account plus pseudonyms, that would be transparent to anyone who gained access to the main account.

IMHO, Facebook ought to bless multiple accounts, in the interest of protecting users' privacy. They could still get their profit from the information and activity for each account.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread closed as per TOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.