F11 in HP Pavilion and Acronis Secure Zone

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Yeph, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeph

Yeph Registered Member

Hello,

I have a new HP Pavilion PC with Windows Vista Home Premium Oem.

I can make backups with Acronis 11 but can't activate the "startup recovery manager". There is a conflict with the Masterbootrecord, which tells me to type F11 for system recovery (from Vista or HP). The "secure zone" is installed but not the "acronis recovery manager". It just says "failed to install startup recovery manager".

I have totally erased the harddisk an then installed only the Vista Oem without the hidden "system recovery partition", which I have backed up on another disk as image.

Now the computer still boots with this F11 (for system recovery sh.. (not Acronis)) but it doesn't do anything. And still "acronis recovery manager" can't be installed. Vista starts normally. I even have disabled system recovery in "Windows Vista".

I downloaded a little free program from the internet, to change the MBR, but I can only change from Vista to Windows XP. I can't see where this F11-Thing is located. It is not on the harddisk because I erased it completely.

There is also a possibility to make a "raid"disk out bof the harddisk at boot-time, by pushing Ctrl-I, after the F11-panel, before the Vista bootsequence.

How can I install the recovery manager? Can I change the F11 possibility of Acronis to F10 or F12 for instance? Or can I get rid of the F11-recovery-thing of the HP-Pavilion (or from Vista)?

Has anyone any idea?

Thank you already in advance for any information.

Eddy

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Since you wiped the hard drive, it sounds like this F11 option is in the HP BIOS. Have you looked there for any option to disable it?

If it can't be disabled, it probably means that TI just can't offer the F11 for restore on your computer.

Although it may be convenient to restore by hitting F11, I always prefer to not modify the MBR and use the TI Recovery CD to boot for a restore.

3. Yeph

Yeph Registered Member

Re: F11 in HP Pavilion and Acronis Secure Zone (SOLUTION FOUND)

Hello,

I found a solution.

When I first installed Acronis TI, it was on the original Vista configuration. The installation of "startup recovery manager" had to be made by rebooting and the installation failed. Just the part for the "secure zone" was taken away from my harddisk, and I couldn't put it back to the original partition again.

Than I made backups of the whole system with the rescue disk. And the restore worked fine after some trouble to find the USB-harddisk.

Then I erased the whole harddisk and installed only the Vista Partition without the "recovery partition from HP". I tried immediately to install the "startup recovery manager" from the Acronis bootdisk which failed, and later installed the whole Acronis 11 again in Windows Vista.

"Startup recovery manager" didn't want to install again. This all happened already on Sunday.

Yesterday evening I tried a new thing.

Since "Secure Zone" was already installed without the functioning recovery manager, I at least wanted to use it to put an image of my Vista into this zone, before resizing the whole disk again to fit my needs.

When all this worked, using the "Acronis Boot CD" and the backup file worked fine, I thought I could try to install the "start up recovery manager" again, and ..... hallelujah, it worked.

Now, when I boot, the bootscreen from the HP-Pavilion first appears, with this ugly F11-choice to start "system recovery" from HP or Vista.

Then appears a normal bootscreen showing my harddisks and the possibility to choose a RAID-setup by pushing Ctr-I, and only then the Acronis F11 Startup recovery manager appears, and it works fine.

The only difference to Acronis TI 10 is, that it first tells me the recovery will last 3 minutes, later it says 10 minutes an lasts nearly 10 minutes.

Acronis TI always told me at the beginning the recovery would last 30 minutes and it really did it in 3 - 4 minutes, but I guess Vista Oem is just bigger?! ;-)

Thanks for the answer

and maybe this helps other people

best regards

Eddy

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Yeph,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully.

Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further experience to share, please feel free to post it on this forum.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.