f-secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Is f-secure really the best av? or one of the best?

the scan engine (real time is fast?)
    does it slow down a lot a pc?

2. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

i never try f-secure but i use KAV. since f-secure used KAV engine then i think it might be one of the best AV.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes.

No.
    It is in the high resource use catagory, but you have to try it to see if it is too much for you.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

from all that I have read about and heard from people that have used it and my own experience useing it, I would in my opinion say that it is a middle of the road av product better than some but there are better choices. One downside to f-secure is that is uses a lot of system resources and will slow a lot of older computers.

5. bigc73542

you can check it's detection rate here at Virus Bulletin VB history

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It recieved an Advanced + rating in a March 2005 On Demand test at AV-Comparatives.

7. bigc73542

It has to be pretty decent since it uses Kav scan engine ;)

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

their ratings only consider the detection - which is one aspect of the AV's performance - you also have to factor in the resourse usage, which is more subjective - each user's machine specs being their own biggest factor...

If you run SATA drives and 3.6+ mhz machine with gigs of RAM, you'll not care about some of the "hogs" as much as someone with a more modest machine.

Those factors aren't taken into account be any of the major AV comparisons to my knowledge - so a user must do their INITIAL research from sites like vb av-comp etc, then trial their shortlist IRL on their setups...

9. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

On my system, F-secure was a major RESOURCE-HOG!!! Though, I neve read a bad review on its capabilities!

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

One of the best? Yes. The BEST? No. ;)

tECHNODROME

11. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

Couldnt AGREE MORE!!!

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

NOD32 is the very best.
    Do you see any F-Secure subforum at Wilders ? I don't. :)

13. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I've used F-secure for about a year. I run KAV on my other machine. I'd say that FS is among the best but is on the heavy side compared with the New KAV.

NOD is lighter if you like - I don't. :-*

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes thanks mate
    but nod hasn't a good detection in malware and trjoan
    i know kav & f-secure are betther the nod for the malware..

by the way now i'm an avast user

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Well, that doesn't really matter, this is the other anti-virus software section, so there is no need to hijack this thread.............the question was about F-Secure.

16. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

when i tried f-secure i found that the updates were very slow i don't know if this is the case any more.

17. I have F-secure 2005 Intenret Security that I won as beta tester but im not using it.

It really using to much system resources but also i had some problems that small icon become red saying that there is a problem with software...
    I reinstalled product and did not solve that problem.
    Also installation process with dial-up internet will take 2-3 hours ...

Good news is that i did not get any infection during use.
    Im back to NOD ;)

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for me f-secure is a tad too heavy and tho KAV is also heavy, f-secure seems worse tho it does have 3 engines and more adjustable options. afaik its additional engines doesnt improve its detection rates significantly but its still one of teh best AV.

19. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD received West Coast Labs Checkmark for spyware and they have added a lot of signatures for viruses and trojans. They also scored a Advanced + rating in the August On-Demand test at AV-Comparatives along with KAV. They also scored signifigantly better than KAV in the Retrospective Test in May. By the way Avast's score in the May and August tests was Standard. :p

20. ice60

ice60 Guest

i have used F-Secure for about 6/7 months, i have about 608RAM and a 2 year old 2.6 Ghz celeron. i haven't noticed any slowdowns. if i turn it off it makes no difference in speed. before i used F-Secure i had F-Prot. again i didn't notice any speed difference.

it uses alot of resoures, my CPU av. is about 6/7. and a full system scan is closer to 2 hours then 1. but, for real time monitoring, i don't notice it.

i have tried, very briefly, KAV, maybe i configured it incorrectly, but it was very , very slow. slower then NAV 2004.

F-Secure is my favourite AV.

21. Az7

Az7 Guest

We have F-Secure Anti-Virus for File Servers @ work. it is fantastic antivirus. but update process is the con. no incremental update; you need to download plus 7 MBs huge update files even via F-Secure update routine.

22. BlkSpider

BlkSpider Registered Member

There are better AntiVir software out there. I agree with all about it being a resource hog. I used F-secure for two months, but dumped it do to using to much hard drive space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.