F-Secure WOW

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I just checked and they are wanting $80.00 for the suite. I swear I saw aboyt a week ago for $59.99 which was a great deal, but geez, it is way to high right now.:'(

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no difference in price here in the UK for f-secure,

suites:

f-secure: £34.95 (1 user) - £39.95 (3 user)
    kaspersky: £40.00 (1 user)
    norton: £49.99 (1 user) - £69.99 (3 user)
    AntiVir: £26.30 (1 user)
    Mcafee: £39.99 (1 user)
    AVG: £31.95 (1 user 1 yr) - £41.95 (1 user 2yr) - £45.95 (3 users 1yr)
    Trend Micro: £39.95 (3 user 1 yr) - £59.95 (3 user 2yr)
    bitdefender10: £49.95 (2 user 2yr)

-----------
    Dr.Web £18.50 (After migration) 2 years :) (1 user 'i think')
    nod32 £22.00 (1 user 1yr) - £35.00 (1 user 2yr) - £64.00 (3 user 1yr) - £97.00 (3 user 2yr)

nice little collection, lets use em all *lol*

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

If one has 3 computers it is not a bad deal, but if only 1 or even 2, I think it is greatly overpriced, even though I like it. I would buy Kaspersky instead.

I'm still waiting to see if FS will let me upgrade my 3 year license for FSIS 2006 to 2007. It has been slightly over a week, and hopefully I will learn the next few business days.

Jerry

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I found a place to buy 2006 for 40 dollars. If I get it will it upgrade to 2007.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

This is for the 2006 AV but maybe it upgrades to 2007? Anyway, it's a 6 month free trial of F-Secure for Microsoft users.

http://www.f-secure.com/protectyourpc/

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

not to bad.:) ;)

7. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I got mine directly from F-Secure back in November for $54.95. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize how much it was going to be because the amount on the website was in Finnish currency and I didn't know what that was in US dollars until I got my receipt in an email, lol.

trjam, are you switching to F-Secure? I see your avatar has changed :D

I may be going off of F-Secure for a while as I ordered an OEM Vista Home Premium today from NewEgg. FSIS '07 is not compatible with Vista just yet. Though there is a beta out for it, I will just wait until it becomes final. In the meantime I will use my backup NOD32 2.70 as it is compatible with Vista.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I use NOD32 now. How would you compare the two products? Do you think F-Secure is better for XP users?

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have found that the free trial versions of 2006 will update to 2007. I currently have a 1 year trial, good until July 2007, and it was 2006, but updated to 2007 without any problems.

Jerry

10. midway40

It all comes down to preferences. I have nothing against NOD32. I just wanted a suite and F-Secure just felt "right" for me. Depending on how Vista behaves on my computer I may or may not reinstall F-Secure as I might need something a little lighter to make up for upgrading to Vista. I also may just use the Vista firewall while using NOD32 since it monitors outgoing connections.

I only tried the first Vista beta and it was a dog on my machine. It only stayed on my computer 4 hours before I uninstalled it. But I read that the second beta was more faster and now I am reading that RTM is faster than XP.

Whenever F-Secure releases it's Vista version I will know for sure about all of this. It shouldn't be too far off since Vista is being released next Tuesday.

Right now I am in the middle of researching Vista about my hardware and software to prepare myself for the transistion next Tuesday. Hardware-wise I am ok, but I will have some software probs to deal with (Diskeeper 8.0, Nero 6.6.0.13, HP Printing Software, and Nokia PC Suite).

11. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Yowsers! :eek: Hey, F-Secure produces a good suite, but not $80 good. Particularly with so many high quality offerings available for considerably less.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was able to get the 2007 suite for $40.00 and that is a steal. This is a really nice suite.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

In the UK, F-Secure IS 2007 can be purchased OEM for a little over £15 from Ebuyer. Not sure if they ship to the US, but that's a cracking good deal, and I only wish FSIS worked on my machine.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

you need to buy some hardware from them to get it at that price,

i think £34.95 is a great price for a suite, £5 less than kasperskys, and alot cheaper than nortons.

i dont understand the argument, maybe the US has calculated wrong, i dont know but the price set on f-secure.co.uk is a good one i feel.

15. Simon6776

No, you don't. I have bought several items of OEM software from them, for myself, and for friends, and although I have purchased hardware from them in the past, there have never been any questions as to my purchasing further OEM products. I have actually just purchased NIS 2007 OEM, as I couldn't get the trial versions to work, and it worked out at about half the retail cost, including delivery.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok thats cool, ive been shopping on there for years, their OEM prices are good.

although not as good as the rebate options the americans have. :rolleyes:

bitdefender IS 10 (2users 2 YEARS) £16 with vat + delivery :D

although 'some' of the f-secure OEMs still do state, hardware purchase is needed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Do the OEMs upgrade when a change is made, for example 2006 to 2007?

Thanks,
    Jerry

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Jerry, I had to uninstall 2006 then install 2007 and my key worked. I am keeping it on my desktop as I really like what I have seen. I have not noticed any slow downs. This and NIS 2007 have to be the 2 best suites going for total protection, and little aggravation.:rolleyes:

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

just make sure you set deepguard to ask you on all changes if you install driver if it might block the installation of drivers
    lodore

20. Simon6776

As far as I am aware, the OEMs are identical to the retail versions, but that said, FSIS does display 'OEM' on the program interface.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I noticed that on the one I recently bought off ebay from a seller in UK.

trjam,
    I upgraded the trial versions of FS without problems, and also uninstalled the 2006 first. However, as you might have seen in other posts, I bought an OEM 3 year subscription of FSIS 2006 through ebay. It installed OK and updated showing my license expiration as 3 years.
    However, when I attempted to upgrade to 2007 by uninstalling and installing the new 2007, my license was not recognized.

I contacted FS Support, and they responded, but I did not give enough information in my initial request. Having given the required info, including the fact that it was OEM, they are working on it. It has been over a week, and maybe they will take another or so.
    I did not know whether the problem was primarily from the fact that it was OEM or a 3 year license. The latter might be the case as I have never seen a 3 year license before.

When I initially installed the 2006 it ran OK, but when I reinstalled it some of the icons from other programs did not show in the tray. Not sure why the difference. I had trialed the FSIS 2007, and it ran better than the 2006. I could live with the 2006 if the icons in the tray problem is solved. If not I won't live with that for 3 years.

Thanks for the replies. When I get a response from FS I will post the gist of it.

Regards,
    Jerry

22. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the Microsoft offer of F-Secure antivirus today. I wanted to configure the real time monitoring but couldn't. All the buttons were grayed out. Same thing with the e-mail configuration. Is this normal in F-Secure? I was able to configure everything else, but since I couldn't configure e-mail and real time monitoring, I uninstalled it.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used that offer also. However, I used the default settings, and do not remember if the buttons were grayed out.
    Incidentally, the page I used to find that on does not offer it anymore. Did you find it in the last day or so?

I also took the 1 year trial offer that was in CHIPS for the FS AV. I still have 6 months to go, but do not have it on my computer at present. I am trialing KAV 6 on the laptop. When I finish that I may go back to the FS AV, and if so will try to remember to let you know if no one provides the answer.
    Both offers were for the AV 2006, but updated to the 2007 version without any problem.

Best,
    Jerry

24. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

I found the Microsoft offer by clicking on the link acr1965 provided in post #5 above. The offer is at the bottom of that page. I also gave the FSIS 2007 30 trial a try today. It was the same. Not able to configure real time scanner or e-mail scanner. I'm not sure I like that. I think I will go back to either AntiVir PE Premium or KAV 6 and a stand alone firewall.

25. midway40

Graystoke, to enable the disabled options you must do this: at the main "Home" window click "change" on Virus and Spy Protection. This will give you a dropdown menu with the options Normal, High, Custom, and OFF. Select Custom and then you can change the options that were grayed out earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.