F-Secure VPN Free 3 Month Subscription

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MisterB, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Yet another VPN freebee.

https://freedome.f-secure.com/exclusive/3m/

This one is Windows 7 and later only. I happened to be setting up a Windows 7 machine and gave it it a test. It is very simple but seems to work well. It uses OpenVPN and the license and configuration is embedded in the downloaded installer. Once you submit an email, you will be given a link to the installer with embedded license. The fine print says that it expires on January 1st, 2016 so it looks like you get 3 months from the date you install it for the rest of this year. The company is located in Finland. The client software has some tracking blocking and other features in addition to the VPN tunnel.

It only works with the client software and there is no possibility of using it with generic OpenVPN or systems other than Windows. The paid version supports Android and IOS but the giveaway looks like it is just for Windows. I did like the client software. It was very simple and worked flawlessly. It passed a basic dns leak test but I haven't tested it very rigorously. I haven't given it a bandwidth test. My own bandwidth is so limited, almost any VPN service works at full capacity. It doesn't have a very big server list but the servers offered are in a nice variety of locations in the US, Europe and Asia.

2. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Thanks MisterB, I have just installed . Cheers :)

3. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

A brief update.

I put a new disk in the system I was testing on and restored a clean image of Windows 7 without the software I was testing. I reinstalled F-Secure and my 3 month free subscription is now a 6 month subscription. I did a dns leak test and was pleased to see that the dns servers F-secure is using no longer show F-secure domain names. It is just a generic name from the country of the exit node. That was one of the few things I didn't like about it and it's fixed. I don't like to advertise to the servers I'm connecting to that I'm using a VPN.

The giveaway is still going on. This is one of the longest running VPN freebees I've seen.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.