F-Secure Virus Definitions Update freq?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It is now 10:18 PM. F-Secure shows that it checked at 10:04 PM, but shows that the virus definitions were updated at 10:27 AM. That is nearly 12 hours without definitions being updated.

Is this a normal thing or just not being updated today for whatever reason? I have not had the machine on but for a short period, and it would seem that when I turned it on, and the AV checked there would be newer definitions.o_O o_O

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

F-Secure is normally updated 2-3 times a day. So it is normal to for F-Secure to not update in 12 hours. :)

3. StU

StU Registered Member

... and you will not very often receive updates at the weekend.
    Here you can check for the latest update.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Unless there's a major outbreak, in which case they will issue an update. I've seen it mentioned on their blog.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, All. I appreciate the responses. I see that the last update is.
    June 09, 2006 / 13:27:26 (GMT+2). I suspect that is the same as the 9th at 10:27 AM MST USA time, but am not sure.

I find it somewhat surprising that Kaspersky, for example updates about every 3 or 4 hours, and this AM the last definition update was at 4:51 this morning.

I know that the various AVs have different frequencies, and am not sure if F-Secure is less secure due to the longer times between updates.

Thanks, again. If you have comments please post them. I like F-Secure so far, and find it very user friendly.

Jerry

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Kaspersky updates many times a day, but sometimes they are lazy to post the info on their webpages. :)

As for F-Secure, do not worry, 1-2 updates a day is secure enough. Besides, they will release an update in case an outbreak occurs, so you don't have to worry. :)

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Firecat.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.