F-Secure Updates Failed...?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Has anyone managed to get F-Secure updates this evening? Mine last updated this morning, but I noticed the yellow ! this evening, next to Last Update Check, and when I try to Check Now, it just comes up as failed to connect to server. This is the evaluation version, and should be valid until 27/02. :doubt:

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I reinstalled F-Secure this evening. At first it was unable to connect to the server to validate my license. After probably 20 minutes it was able to. I then updated about 30 minutes ago. I think something must have been wrong with the servers.

The slow updates is my major complaint with FS, bu;t other than that it causes fewer problems than any other AV except Avast that I have used.

Best,
    Jerry

3. Simon6776

When you say "slow updates", do you mean the time it takes for them to download, or that they are slow to appear in the first place? I have to say, mine updates every morning, and usually a couple of times throughout the day, and I haven't really noticed the time it takes for the updates to download.

The updates are now coming through OK, so it must have been a server problem last night, which I should be used to, having used KIS for several months.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It takes several minutes for the updates to complete loading, as opposed to seconds for KAV. Admittedly FS AV has more to update than KAV. It also sometimes does not update on weekends, but did this morning.

It has been, along with Avast Home, the most trouble free AV I have used for any extended length of time. KAV is constantly making changes that cause problems on some computers. Whether FS is keeping up to date or just does the changes better I do not know, but what I do know is that it runs real well on my system
    At start-up it takes about a minute and half for it to appear, as opposed to about 15 seconds with KAV so considering the updates my machine with KAV is ready a couple of minutes or so faster, but I don't consider that a bother.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Simon6776

Can't argue with any of that, Jerry. :)

6. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

This is exactly what I found a bit annoying on FSAV2007 when I first installed the software but considering it's very stable on my pc I guess I can live with this start up delay :)

BTW, about the updates it's strange, I haven't experienced any problem with them lately.

7. Simon6776

This is the first time I have experienced update problems with FSIS, in my on and off usage over the last year. It was quite common in KIS to be notified of an update error, so much so, in fact, I turned the alerts off. They usually rectified things in an hour at the most.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Would not worry to much, Deep Guard has you covered even if updates are delayed.

9. Simon6776

So I believe, but where exactly is that in the application? I haven't managed to find it yet. :doubt:

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

click on internet shield, you have application control, set to prompt and you have Intrusion Protection, set to block and log. You are well covered.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

make sure you get it to ask you on all changes so it dont block safe installs:D
    lodore

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

beaten a dead horse, lodore.:rolleyes:

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

having deepguard on default settings blocked my creative sound card driver form installing.
    so i had to get it to alert me on all changes and clear up the install so it would start again.
    lodore

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

but didnt you also have some install problems with your avatar.:eek:

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no i think you the one with the install avatar problems it changes to often must be some virus:D
    win32.trjam.rootkit.hidefromf-secure
    lodore

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Good one,:) but I meant your KIS install had a few burbs to.:cool:

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm no i think it was f-secure uninstall problems if i remember correctly.
    i tell it to uninstall it tells me right away that its done and to reboot.
    it reboots and the f-secure icon loads:D
    so i used the f-secure removal tool to uninstall it rebooted and installed kis6.0
    my faultly ram has caused all my programs to close randomly at some point including avp.exe,opera,firefox etc etc.
    lodore

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well they are both good, joined at the hip. Also if I were to install something,:rolleyes: I would disable that part of F Secure, for the moment.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

erm doesnt that knida destroy the idea of HIPS?
    the idea of HIPS is to provent unknown virus/malware from installling.
    if you disableing it during instal and for somereasion its an unsafe .exe file then it will execute.
    when my pc is connected to the net kis6.0 is never turned off.
    f-secure was always on for the time i used it.
    the 2007 version was the only version that stopped me installing except the spysweeper 4.5 conflict:D
    but i blame webroot for that.
    lodore

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would know what I am installing. But I think my better half,:oops: has broke me of even that.:cautious:

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its like Bigc said a while ago if an install asks you to turn off av for the install he just doesnt install it i agree with that idea
    lodore

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

23. Simon6776

Sorry to interrupt :D yes, those are my settings. I was actually looking for something that said 'Deepguard', but obviously this is it. :)

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

25. Simon6776

Right, gotcha. Thanks! :D Mine is set to ask when case is unclear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.