f-secure slowing down my pc i will explain why

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Sep 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

when i right click on a file and select delete it takes like 20-30 secounds to come up with the are you sure box. this happerns even if the only thing running is f-secure. and the only thing open is my documents. it takes this long even if i just create an empty brief case in my documents. so this is prove it slows my read and write time down quite a bit. btw this is the most important part because im sure most of you are gonna say defrag the hard drive then try again but I use diskeeper on smart scheduling so it defrags the hard drive everyday so its in perfect condistion. now I am really annoyed about this. i done this test because i thought the are you sure delete box came up slowly because i was doing alot on the pc at once. but as i said it is this slow even on my completely defraged hard drive with just f-secure running. i did email f-secure about this but i realy should of been a bit less rude about it. so i am even thinkin about replacing f-secure before the end of my license in december 24th. my switch would be to antivir premium.

some might say this is a price to pay for protection but since i know antivir has a higher detection rate and doesnt slow down laptops or pcs then that is not a vaild comment

any ideas to make it faster read and write for the time being?
    thanks in adavance
    lodore

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

lodore,

Try the steps outlined here. That should at least confirm the source of your problem.

Blue

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

also when i loadup programs it is also quite slow. so it still seems to be f-secure.

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Last month as i was using Acronis OS Selector. I created a brand new empty installation of Windows Pro XP2.

Immediately after formatting and windows installation. I installed F-Secure as my first and only 3rd party application. Which my phone company had gave me for free.

My machine then immediately had the exact same symptoms you are now describing. Everything you are experiencing I experienced it too.

After a week or perserviring I unistalled it. And put Kaspersky 6.303 on there instead. Everything was immediately back to perfect.

I am not sure what caused these symptoms with my machine. But using my guestimate I would conclude it was definitely F-Secure.

Hope this is some help to you
    Anthony

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for backing me up on this anthony.
    I will even give my dad the £13 myself for antivir today lol

then i will have alot faster pc

6. BlueZannetti

It very well could be. Try some classical challenge-response tests. You have the data with F-Secure, uninstall and see what happens without it active. Try to make is as quantitative as possible.

If you notice a substantial difference in the response characterisitics of the system, look at the other factors that are important to you. For example, while the discussions on this site and many others always seem to focus on the absolute height of detection performance, my personal metrics put system performance at the top of the heap - at some level I will trade lower detection statistics for faster system performance - which is not heresy, but a standard risk/benefit tradeoff.

Blue

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it could be and since anthony had the same thing will the only 3rd party app being f-secure this seems very probable. i was meaning to replace it anyway.

and as for detection i was thinking of something like anti of course and maybe prevx1 so i have some hips and not much will get past that as well and of course would need anotehr 3rd party firewall. since atm all is covered by f-secure.

unfortanatly i have been living with it for like 1.5years when i didnt need to. now i finaly know the truth.

it will be replaced asap.

8. BlueZannetti

I've been running Prevx1 for a bit. The only drag I notice is at startup, whether this is a bother depends on how often you restart. It's not a major item. If you are leaning towards Avira, and assuming you are looking at the paid version, I would hold back on any paid firewall solutions until you've had an opportunity to assess the integrated firewall now in development.
    Haste is always a source of later problems. Now is the time to step back and make an informed decision. F-Secure has served you well for some time, a day or two longer won't matter in the long term, but a hasty decision could.

Good luck.

Blue

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for all the info. if i get antivir soon i will probaly get a free firewall then get antivir with firewall when it comes out. i thinks its ment to come out in october. sure f-secure has protected my pc for a long time but now i know that i am right about it slowing down my pc i want a replacement and since i have found a replacement already since i have tryed the replacment on another system. this is my personal opintion, nod32 antivir both dont slow down pc's or laptops but i prefer the simpler interface and trhe more reporting options in antivir. bitdefender, f-secure slow down most functions of my test pc and my main pc. kaspersky using its scan new and changed files only mean it doesnt impcat on the system that much but is more impact than nod32 and antivir in my tests. as i said this is what i have found out in my tests everyone is entitled to there own opintions.

if i wanted to completely uninstall f-secure could i just use the uninstaller tool? or would i have to remove from ad or remove programs first?

lodore

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006
  10. BlueZannetti

Sounds like you've been figuring out what you do and don't want for a while in very rational way, which is exactly how to approach the problem.

While everyone is entitled to their opinions, I'd make your statements a bit stronger. You're not dealing with opinion, but empirically observed behavior. Sure, it's only qualitative to semi-quantitative, but it is real and can be used to make a well-considered rational decision.

Blue

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks.

do you know if i can just use the f-secure removal tool or do i have to remove it in add or remove programs first then use removal tool?

lodore

12. BlueZannetti

See here

Blue

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have removed F-Secure with add/remove several times and it always has done a good job of getting rid of it.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok thanks i have used add or remove programs to remove it in the past but thats when the update didnt work so i uninstalled rebooted and installed again.

so if i can uninstall it in add or remove programs do i reallly need to use the removal tool?

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I have revoved F-Secure at least once to test something else. I just used the add/remove and then "searched" for files and folders. After that there were no traces that I could find. It worked well.

I am using F-Secure now, and I have not found it slows my system, but each one is different. It does use a lot of memory.

Best,
    Jerry

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Thanks for your imput jerry.

your right it does use alot of memory.

and of course like most antivirus software if you run a scan the pc goes so slow.

but with antivir the startup is faster doesnt slow system down great detection.
    antivir doesnt even slow down my test pc even if its running a scan.
    so f-secure may have great detection but i wont be renewing it.
    kaspersky atm is still to buggy.

but since i like antivir alot then i will probaly get that one.

lodore

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Lodore,
    YOur are welcome. I chime in at times as I am not as knowledgeable as BigC and most others here so if I can do it anyone can.:D

From time to time keep us updated as to how well you like it. If I do not continue with F-Secure after the trial runs out next July, I will take a hard look at Avira Premium.

Right now if the price is not too high I plan to continue with F-Secure, but who knows?

Regards,
    Jerry

18. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

does the removal tool work for f-secure antivirus 2006?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is a f-secure 2006 removel tool but i dont know if that one works with it.

because f-secure support have sent me the 2006 one before

lodore

20. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

can you give me the link to their 2006 removal tool?

im having a problem with f-secure 2006 where "scan for rootkits" doesn't work...

thanks...

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont have a link for it sorry f-secure have sent me it as an attachment in the past

22. BlueZannetti

Didn't see one off-hand on their site, but they had the some simple added instructions for the 2005 version which may apply to 2006 as well.

What I'd probably do, if you've already uninstalled, is run the Issues option of CCleaner (scan for issues then fix them) and let it do it's thing. While you're at it, use the normal cleaner option as well.

Blue

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the other post seems to comfirm my slow computer problems seem to be because of f-secure so as i said in my other thread im looking for new stuff.

antivir and some firewall while im waiting for antivir?

24. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Just to note for this though. I just used the default settings for F-Secure after I had installed it on my machine.

What i think Blue is suggesting is to try tweaking F-Secure to see if this helps.

But when i did use the default settings on mine. It really slowed my machine down. And had the exact same right click problem you are describing. After a while it drove me nuts. So just took it off and put Kaspersky 6 on there. And with KAV's default settings my machine ran like a dream.

But as I say for me. I was just of the assumption that F-Secure would leave their least demanding to your system settings on default after install.

25. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

thanks for the link blue...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.