f-secure rescue disc

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jun 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Has anyone tryed the f-secure rescue disc?

I tryed both the beta and the released version on my dell laptop.

the scan times are very slow.

scan time of installed f-secure on windows 7 with advanced heuristics enabled: 30minutes

I left the rescue disc to run for just over 2hours before cancelling and it wasnt even close to finishing.

I dont know if the linux version of the scanner is slow or if the rescue disc has more through settings.
    I have reported this to f-secure but I thought I would ask if anyone else has a similar experience.

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

It's a decent one. Last time I used it it was command-line rather than GUI.

All rescue discs are slow: expect them to take an average of 2.5-7.5hrs. Possibly the quickest is Panda.

The slowest in my experience is Dr Web, which can easily go overnight - but they kindly provide a web browser. This means that one can still have use of the machine, which I think is a great idea.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

not all rescue discs are slow.

eset rescue disc is the same speed as the installed version on my laptop which is around 30minutes.

4. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The Avira Rescue System CD is quite fast.

A few months ago the Dr.Web LiveCD scanner was upgraded to a faster version.

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I'll have to give the new Dr Web a go, thanks. I'll have to update my rescue CDs anyway, since I've not used one in quite some time. They are all quite out of date (early 2011!).

Avira was always fast, but IME could be picky about which machines it worked on and wasn't as good as Dr Web at finding rootkits. There's no point to a rescue CD unless one is unable to get into Windows to do repair, or there is a concern that a rootkit is making investigation difficult. I do prefer using a WinPE USB though.

If TS has Eset's paid for rescue disc, then I'd suggest sticking with that.

6. vojta

vojta Registered Member

The regular scanner in F-Secure is also very slow when heuristics are set to high. They recommend to let it at default settings, but I understand that if you use a rescue disc is probably because you think you may be infected.

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How good is the F-Secure Rescue CD at cleaning Malware?

I just installed (using YUMI) the F-Secure Rescue CD on my USB Flash Drive. I went through the Malware signature update step and then I did not run the scan. I examined the folders on my YUMI USB Flash Drive both before and after the Malware signature update and I noticed that F-Secure did update the Malware signatures on my USB Flash Drive.

Therefore, if I want to clean someone's PC, I can run the Malware signature update on my PC and abort the scan. Then I can use the "updated" F-Secure Rescue CD to clean a PC.

8. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

in cleaning malware? no where near as good as the dr.web rescue disk (for me).

i found the f-secure rescue disk very slow in updating and scanning, also don't like how you cant use the mouse to navigate.

don't see any reason to use this over the dr.web rescue disk. the latest version of the dr.web rescue disk also scanned my system faster than the f-secure one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.