F-Secure IS 2007 v KIS 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Having fallen out of love with FSIS 2006, due to it's intensive resource usage, slow on demand scanning, and Windows shutdown problems, I have been using KIS 6.0 for about 6 months now, and am really pleased with it. However, since FSIS 2007 has been out, I've been itching to try it, but knowing how difficult FSIS 2006 was to remove, before I spend an evening on it, and possibly a sleepless night if it goes pear shaped, I'd like to know first, whether FSIS 2007 is any improvement over the old product? Given the choice, what would people here use out of these two? Is FSIS 2007 less resource hogging, has on demand scanning improved, and is it more compatible with other software? The FS support guys wanted me to even uninstall Mail Washer, when I was having the shutdown problems, which is when I said goodbye to FSIS 2006. Will I have to uninstall practically everything else, to install FSIS 2007? Are there any benefits with FSIS 2007 over KIS 6.0?

Thanks guys!

Simon. :)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Simon,
    I have just started using FSIS, although I have used FS AV for several months.
    I cannot compare the 2006 and 2007 versions, but there have been no conflicts, and I do use Mailwasher.

Although it uses a lot of resources it has not resulted in slowdown that I notice. I have not tried KIS, and use only KAV, but no conflicts there either. Evidently slowdowns do occur with some combinations.

FS is not a popular application, but I hope someone can help you. Maybe Lodore has used both.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well people could argue both ways.
    but when i ran the normal uninstaller for f-secure internet secuirty 2007 in add/remove programs it asked for reboot right away and rebooted and it loaded back up!
    so i had to use there removal tool to uninstall it.
    but other people here havent had problems with fsis2007.
    f-secure 2006 uses 18 processes f-secure 2007 uses 13 processes.
    im going on my own experiences.
    when i checked the event viewer located in control panel/administive tools/evetn viewer i found alot of red entries relating to f-secure timed out on scanning files.
    kis6.0 uses 2 processes and is alot lighter on the system.
    once you do a full scan the ichecker and iswift technlogys will speed up the scans.
    my first scan took 3hours.
    second scan took 30 minutes and third scan and on woulds takes out 15minutes.
    if you want a lighter program to replace f-secure and want a suite go for kis6.0
    i switched from f-secure 2007 to kis6.0 and have never looked back.
    my pc boots up alot faster now.
    for about a week your pc gets faster and faster with kis6.0 as it icheckers all the files you have used and doesnt rescan them if they are clean which really speeds up your pc.
    and its so customizeable.

oh woops didnt fully read your post.
    if your happy with kis6.0 keep it a great program and theres no point in slowing your system downing by replacing it with fsis2007
    lodore

4. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

F-Secure does run a lot of processes but the processes are not particularly heavy weight and FS-2007 is a LOT lighter than 2006 and runs very well with one notable exception... it doesn't use iSwift or iChecker and therefore the on demand scans are slow. (I go on about this a lot!) F-Secure AV and IS cause no problems on my main system and perform very nicely.

I'd say F-Secure 2007 is a very nice package and well worth looking at. That's not to say anything negative about KAV. F-Secure IS plays better than KIS on my system. KAV is a bit lighter than FSAV but there's not that much in it.

I think F-Secure is certainly worth a look especially if you need that little bit extra protection.

Phasechange :ninja:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well imho if you want a little bit extra protection use somethine like superantispyware pro or similar.
    aka something light on resourses.
    as you say little bit extra protection but at the cost of quite alot more resourse used on the pc.
    Simon,
    what do you use as your brower?
    and email program?
    and what type of internet surfer are you?
    lodore

6. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

Other than a higher number of processes I'm not convinced 2007 produces any more drag on the system but I'm prepared to be convinced....

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well f-secure scans everyfile everytime its accessed even thou its known clean from last time it was scanned.
    where as kav/kis6.0 has ichecker and iswift which doesnt rescan files know safe from when it first scanned them.
    my pc used to take quite a few minutes before my pc loaded up at boottime and then took a few extra minutes to load up the programs.
    the firsttime i opened up my programs they took a while to load but then when then time i logged in the programs load alot faster since it doesnt need to rescan files known to be safe last time.
    lodore

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have recently uninstalled and reinstalled FSIS '07 without probs. Usually after an uninstall I run CCLeaner's registry cleaner to make sure everything is gone in there before reinstalling or installing another like program. Can't recall ever getting a bad uninstall using this method.

Sure it may use more processes than others but the memory print is small for most of them (at this moment fssm32.exe is at 12820k and all others range from 604k to 9296k) . Anyway if you got the RAM, go for it. I recently doubled my 768MB to 1.5GB so I can more than afford it now. Also no performance degradation noticed here.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I still cant believe my really bad one uninstall.
    has anyone had the problem that you uninstall an av reboot and it startsup like you never clicked uninstall?
    but as i said it was only one bad uninstall. most of my fs 2006 uninstalls went fine.
    but why get an av that uses like 128mb of ram just to run when you can get an av that uses around 20mb?
    and only goes up during scans.
    then you dont need to waste your money on more ram.
    how many processes in total with all the programs your running?
    check task manager
    im using 51 atm.
    i used to use 89 before i got rid of f-secure and have got it down and down recently.
    lodore

10. Simon6776

Hi Jerry,

I know I've taken your words out of context, but maybe there's a good reason for that?

Hi Lodore,

I use Mozilla (Sea Monkey) as my browser and email client. I consider myself a fairly 'normal' internet surfer - not really sure what criteria you're referring to.

It does seem that FSIS is still a resource hog (13 running processes??!), and the iSwift and iChecker technology certainly swings the balance in favour of KIS.

I do want to like F-Secure. It's a shame, because I do think it's a nice application, but those multiple running processes impact like hell on my start up time. This was very noticable when I switched to KIS, which starts and scans in a fraction of the time FSIS does. Given also, the often temperamental installation / uninstallation FSIS presents, so far, I think I have been convinced that there isn't enough of an improvement in the 2007 version, to warrant the potential drama of giving it a trial.

Thanks guys, an interesting discussion.

Simon.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was refering to see if you ever go to the dark side of the web and needed extra protection but seems kis6.0 is enough for you.
    your right about the impact on startup time.
    my pc used to take about 5minutes before i could start using it and then a few extra minutes loading the programs.
    but with kis6.0 the icon loads right away and then i can open my apps quite fast.
    lodore

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I have never had a bad uninstall and I used to jump around alot with AV's a lot such as NAV (though this was a toughie to clean out, it leaves too many traces after an uninstall), McAfee, AVG, Avast!, Avira, KAV05-KIS06b, TMIS04-05 (and their betas), NOD32, FSAV06 and FSIS07.

Earlier today in between uninstalling NOD32 and reinstalling FSIS07 I did download and try out KIS06 to see what it was like since I last tried the beta version. I didn't notice any appreciable differences in boot up time between it and FSIS. As I have stated before, FSIS "feels" (for lack of better words) better to me than KIS. Try both and see what "feels" good for you. That's the good thing about choices :)

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id choose KIS 6.0; its powerful yet light.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no contest, f-secure all the way here.

yes it uses more ram and has a slower scan speed, but its still more secure and it feels it too, yes people can go on about the engines, too many? bla bla... dont care, ive used both and kaspersky has never been a favourite of mine, whereas, ive had licences for f-secure in the past and their service is top notch.

2007 will remove things automatically in real-time and also i noticed their spam has improved.

not perfect comparisons, but the main features would be deepguard vs proactive, and deepguard wins this by a MILEEEEEEEE in my opinion, proactive gave me problems, big timeee, and didnt agree with windows IE at all, stupid invaders all the time, i dont think so? whatever.

i still think if your going to use kaspersky, it should be the AV only.
    firewall is iffy too, wont automatically allow some programs and manual rules are needed to be imported. (my experience) and added features like pop-up blockers that just do not work 'at all', is not worth the extra money.

as suites go, f-secure is more complete, yes it comes with flaws as most do, but nothing major, also... its cheaper, and ALOT cheaper if you intend to use on 3 pcs.

i suggest you give them a try before you buy, but yes 2007 is better than 2006, alot better in my opinion, but i did still like 2006.

15. Simon6776

http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/aarrgh.gif Decisions, decisions!! I guess I'm going to have to try it for myself. Midway, I know what you mean about what "feels" right, and the latest version of KIS is a little annoying with it's 'Invader' alerts.

C.S.J., I actually found that KIS seemed to allow too much, by using the basic rules, and I had to fiddle a bit to get a full stealth 'pass' at GRC. I have been using it in Training Mode, and, of course, after 6 months, it doesn't bother me now, as it's all set up.

It does seem as though each has it's merits and downfalls. Fortunately, I have OEMs of both, so it's not too expensive to switch.

Oh, Lodore, not sure if you count bit torrent sites as the 'dark side' of the web, but I do venture into some of those occasionally. http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/blush.gif

Looks like I'm going to have to set an evening aside, to satisfy my curiosity. If KIS comes out on top, I'll "feel" even better about it!

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

remember kis6.0 will have a proactive defence white list soon to stop the riskware invador warnings for known safe programs like msn messenger etc etc.
    the firewall can be annoying at times but its not that bad.
    the pdm can be annoying when you just want to use the search in windows explorer.
    i will keep the pdm installed and hope the white list helps.
    if not i can always uninstall the pdm when the new heristics module comes in.
    i prefer heristics over HIPS modules.
    sure HIPS block more but can be alot more annoying.
    a few fp's from heristics dont bother me but lots of warning about safe programs do.
    if the heristics are quite alot better i might just uninstall pdm.
    as my sister said how come antivir can protect my laptop with no popups but kaspersky which use you gives tons of popups.
    I didnt bother to explain and bore her with the details.
    but the main point is heristics dont popup on safe programs unless its a random fp that can be sent and fixed.
    this is with most behaviour blockers.
    i dont know how people can live with SSM it popups like 50 times just to open thunderbird,firefox,msn,sonicstage and basically everything just to open programs.
    i dumped it after a day.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

one thing i forgot to add.
    has anyone gone to taskmanager and tryed to disable f-secure processes?
    if so do they stop like anyother process?
    or are they protected and stop you?
    or do they stop but restart right away?
    lodore

18. Simon6776

I think I have made my mind up to stick with KIS. If FS employed iSwift and iChecker technology, I would have been tempted, but the prospect of 3 hour scans doesn't do anything for me, and as FSIS seems to work better on some machines than others, unless they have rebuilt it from the ground up, I would be very surprised if all my old issues with FSIS 2006 didn't surface again, as my set up hasn't changed since I last used it.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well its what ever your happy with.
    im happy with kis6.0 and so are you.
    lodore

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

one scan a week is all your supposed to do, so it shouldnt really matter.
    some people say one full scan a month,

the rest of the technology such as deepguard and HIPS will stop anything,

but if your one of these people that do a full system scan daily, maybe you 'should' go for kaspersky, or just unplug the internet as you may be a bit paranoid at daily scans :D

i definatly wouldnt recommend you dr.web, with its slow scan speed... even slower than f-secure as it stands now. *lol*, but there are more important things than that to worry about when choosing an av.

21. Simon6776

Yes, that's very true advice. Can't help being curious though. I almost bought an OEM of Norton 2007 to try! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

get with the times man,

norton 2007 is ace :D

23. Simon6776

Lol! No, I don't do a daily full system scan! It's usually more like once every couple of months, unless I have a suspicion that something might have slipped through. That reminds me of another thing with FSIS 2006 - during a full scan, it used to skip too many files for my liking, and I was never quite sure whether it was scanning inside .zip and .rar files.

Although I have decided to stick with KIS for now, I am sure I will be twiddling my thumbs at some point, looking for something to fiddle with, so I expect curiosity will get the better of me in the end - at which point I'll let you know how I got on! :D

24. Simon6776

Nooo!!!! Don't tempt me any more!! :D

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well it is,

---------
    all av's skip files, except some tell you about it in the main UI and some dont, some will only state in the log files, its nothing different to any other av.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.