F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have been doing this for a little while now on one PC. Basically it is "F-Secure Internet Security Technology Preview (ISTP) is a continuous beta program for our client product line development and it is meant only for beta testing. It will not replace any product and it is not a product that we sell. The aim is to provide a preview of the upcoming features, and at the same time receive feedback on how to improve the features before launching the final products."

But I have to say they are making some strong strides in their suite. I have never, repeat never seen the suite as responsive as it is under this program. Hopefully they will continue to ready some changes for their products. What is different? Since the last release.

New features since the previous release of Internet Security Technology Preview include:
    - Faster spyware removal
    Spyware removal is significantly faster with this release. While previously the spyware scan was reinitiated with removal, now the scanning maintains information about its state.

Reduced Memory Consumption-The product has now been optimized to use much less memory. There is a significant decrease in the amount of memory consumed.

Extended Spam Control Email Client Plug-in for Vista
    To make use of spam control as easy as possible, the usual plug-in for Outlook and Outlook Express have been extended to support the Vista-introduced Windows Mail –email client. The plug-in automate creation of appropriate rules to move spam and phishing emails to their respective folders for processing.

Spam Control, Parental Control on Vista 32-bit
    Spam control and Parental Control are now available for Vista 32-bit.

Internet Shield IPv6 support

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi trjam,
    That is good to know. As I have posted before, I am very pleased with the FSIS OEM that I am using on the laptop. It is a very trouble free AV on that machine. My only real complaint is the length of time required to update. It is rather slow at start.
    However, that is just a slight nuisance, and is offset by its lack of problems.

I assume that the tests will result in changes to all versions.

As a side note, I have never understood why FS continues to identify the OEM as such, and I think I will have to contact their support to provide the upgrade each year. My license is good until 2010. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the info.
    Regards,
    Jerry

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have some thoughts on this but I do not know whether it applies to F-Secure. Basically, OEM editions come in 2 packages: Generic OEM, and vendor-specific OEM. Generic OEM is usually meant for smaller scale hardware vendors who do not have an established brand name. Vendor-specific OEM probably has specialized text and messages, and the amount/viability of program upgrades as well as the license period and support are likely determined by them.

So, if you have a vendor-specific OEM edition, the F-Secure screen would likely show the name of a hardware vendor instead of just some text saying that it is an OEM edition. The Generic OEM will show the OEM text and probably is less flexible from the vendor's side when it comes to licensing. ;)

The OEM license is determined by the license key, but because certain OEM versions may not allow free upgrade of the program (or the vendor rolls out the upgrades instead of F-Secure), the system is made such that automatic upgrade to the latest version is not allowed. This is probably why you have to contact F-Secure.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Firecat,

Thanks, and that is informative. Mine must be a generic OEM, as I did not have a problem getting it upgraded from 2006 to 2007 after I contacted FS Support.
    I got it off ebay.

I also note that nearly all the ebay FS auctions are from UK.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

o_O What does "Technology Preview" mean?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sound like BETA program ...

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

True, but my favorite right now is ESS, but looking forward to Bitdefenders.

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

FS:Technology Preview was a beta for FSIS '07:2nd Edition (Vista compatible) which was officially released May 31. The new edition (32-bit only) can be downloaded here.

9. Carzpurzkey

Carzpurzkey Registered Member

:D My favourite right now is ZoneAlarm Security Suite!

10. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

And I must say that KIS 7 is my love (when it comes to security ;) )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.