F Secure AV 2011

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whitedragon551, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I have done a search and it seems F Secure AV hasnt been brought up in quite some time.

I figured since I have moved from AVG to F Secure now would be a good time to bring it up.

Im going through VB100, AVC, and a few other sites if I find time.

Currently they have scored a VB100 award for their 2011 AV which is good.

Going through AVC is more appealing. On AVC's false alarms report only two alarms were reported. They did great in the Performance test which is also a bonus with them placing in the top 5. The removal test is a little outdated with F Secure AV2010, but they still had good removal of malware and average removal of leftovers.

Anyone have any experiences with this AV? Who's database do they use?

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

They use the Bitdefender engine along with their own along with Deepguard. It's pretty solid all around, but if you have an aversion to an AV using several processes; this isn't for you. It uses 9-10 (2010) processes albeit small in CPU and memory, some don't like all the processes. Others will probably tell you it can slow your brosing but I've not experienced that myself.

3. whitedragon551

I had an issue with DeepGuard throwing up a warning each and every time PrevX was running so I currently have it disabled. I submitted the error to F-Secure and PrevX. I assume it was F-Secure with the issue.

I dont mind all the processes as long as it functions properly and its light.

4. m0unds

m0unds Guest

F-Secure's on the short list of paid products I recommend to my clients -- despite previously being kinda heavy, 2010 and especially 2011 are relatively light and easy to configure, have excellent, straightforward UIs and very solid performance.

Be sure you do a full system scan to take advantage of their fingerprinting mechanism. Subsequent scans will be *much* faster.

5. whitedragon551

I always do a full system scan right away to get that out of the way.

I wish I could get PrevX and F Secure to play nicely. Anyone experience this issue with F Secure's Deep Guard Heuristic engine?

6. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

I ran a trial of F Secure Internet Security a while back and had the same issue with the Prevx/Safeonline free Facebook tool. Quite annoying. Rather than bothering with trying to work things out, I just removed the F Secure trial.

7. whitedragon551

Ive narrowed it down. Its on PrevX's end. They need to whitelist F Secure's folders on their end.

8. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I had this issue before too. It was during and after the install of the free SafeOnline from Facebook. Deepguard prompted me to block or allow practically every file that Prevx created. Even after the install was complete, Deepguard would prompt when opening a browser.

9. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i really like F-Secure, i tried out the 2010 version which i liked, wasn't heavy on my system from my use, but i just personally hated all the processes it had.

10. whitedragon551

Ive got PrevX working on it so it should be fixed if its fixable real soon.

11. firzen771

quick question about this, does F-Secure auto choose its actions on detected malware like in Norton or Panada for example, or does it give me a popup to choose what i want to do with the detection?

and 2nd, does that fingerprinting technology also apply to its resident scanner? or is it just for the ondemand scanner?

12. whitedragon551

You can choose to have it automated or you can choose.

I believe the fingerprinting is for on demand scans.

13. firzen771

ok good, i hate it when AV's feel the need to quarantine things without asking me and thats unfortunate that its only for the ondemand scanner, o well, ill give this a try

14. whitedragon551

I believe my issue with F Secure AV and PrevX SOL has been fixed. Can anyone else verify?

15. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Is FSAV 2011 using the latest BitDefender engine?

16. firzen771

does anyone have a screenshot of what its alert looks like? and the options it gives in the alert

17. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

here is one.....hope it helps

18. firzen771

thx, does it look the same for virus alerts as well?

19. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hmmm......its been a long time since i have seen a virus alert be it f secure or other app......:p

this might ans a few of your queries...
    F-Secure Internet Security 2011 review
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_uqLxmDeM

20. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

F-Secure had a free giveaway last year, but it felt kind of heavy while on my 2003 XP machine. I did like the simple interface and the colors though. They have an interesting and informative blog and I might try it again sometime. :D

21. whitedragon551

I havent used previous versions. This is my first time around with F Secure, but its definitely very light. I previously had AVG and F Secure is just as fast and boot times are just as quick.

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

you'll also be happy to know that according to a contact at f-secure, the fingerprinting mechanism does enhance both on-demand and on-access scanning components. (would have been really silly if it didn't)

23. firzen771

well thats good news

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Light it isnt. It is better, but like Lodore said, it isnt there yet.

It actually may be the best AV on the market, but they have to shrink it down a tad more. I loaded it on a clean image and opening the browser to the homepage opening still has a long delay. Once open, it speeds up.

25. whitedragon551

I never had that issue. I start a browser session and its there. I boot up my machine and the desktop is instantly available to use and work with. I dont experience any browser lag, download speeds dont suffer, gaming doesnt suffer ping issues, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.