F-secure, a couple of questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

hi

im sure we all agree that f-secure is as reliable an AV as its possible to get. personally im using kav and drweb at the moment, but im considering purchasing f-secure. havent used f-secure for about a year, and since its likely to be incompatible with kav and other things i cant be bothered to download and try out the latest trial, so im asking here in case someone has tried f-secure recently

1) are the (daily) updates still huge? im still on a dialup so i hate those 3-5 mb updates (kav and drweb's daily updates are jsut a few kbs usually)

2) a swedish friend of mine, whos got a relative working for f-secure sweden claims that f-secure is constanlty 2-3 days behind teh pace. he says that it takes about 2 days from kav and f-prot release their signatures before they are available throught the f-secure update. anyone know if this is true? if so f-secure cant be very reliable when theres a outbreak of new viruses ?

3) is the 2003 version of f-s any faster and lightweight than the old 5.41 (or ws it 4.51) version?

views appreciated :)

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Agreed. ;)

They've changed their update routine. KAVs engine is updates weekly now. I am not sure of update size.

They don't wait for Kaspersky labs or Frisk (f-prot) to add signatures, they release their own updates (daily, under f-prot engine).

3) is the 2003 version of f-s any faster and lightweight than the old 5.41 (or ws it 4.51) version??2003 home uses 5.40 version and corporate client edition 5.41.

tECHNODROME

3. kloshar

kloshar Guest

I have licenced F-secure and I have to tell that antivirus is very bad. I had about 15 viruses, but F-secure didn't show any signs for viruses. And it crashed my computer too. I have 5.41 version for Workstation but I use it home. And it hasn't e-mail scanner witch is important!

4. Madsen DK

Madsen DK Registered Member

F- Secure AV very bad o_O?? :eek:
    Well i disagree completly. You are very wrong IMO.
    FSAV is one of the best AVs around.
    Every AV can miss a virus now and then, but that FSAV should have missed 15 viruses on your comp, sorry i find this very hard to believe.

5. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

Would you mind posting the 15 agents missed by F-Secure? It would be helpful to know what they were since I have never heard of anyone reporting such poor performance from F-secure.

Thanks in advance for the information.

Bdiamond

6. kloshar

kloshar Guest

I don't know wich, but it isn't good av software 4 me. I'll try other one.

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

i'd like to see the 15 viruses f-secure missed too.. which av found those viruses? sure it can crash your pc if you don't have enough memory(it's said to run with 128 megs but 256 is better) or run it with win 98.. or if you misconfigure it.. but that's your fault, not f-secures.. the minumum requirements are in the read me files

it's constantly in the top3 of all antivirus tests so i really find your alledged misses hard to believe so post some proof of your findings before making such statements...
    if you're having problems configuring it IM me and i'll give you instructions/screen shots

as for the e-mail scanner, f-secure does not have an e-mail scanner as a component but it is still able to scan e-mail, the real time protection just don't allow you to open an infected email attachment + they can be scanned by right clicking the files

8. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

@Tahoma:

f-secure shows 5500kb updates but most of the time the actual downloaded update is a around >100kb... only when avp issues cumulatives/ monhtlies the actual download is bigger..
    surely you must have seen that after the initiation of the update download the figure quickly jumps to 95-97% downloaded.. the 5500kb is the size of f-secures full database and that amount is downloaded very seldom, usually when you have a corrpted database or an update to the heuristic orion engine, i think that during my time as a f-secure user i've seen three or four downloads of that size..
    AFAIK they use mostly kav bases with something of their own added. i've heard that during virus alerts they issue an update of their own for emergency use, but mostly they rely on avp to produce them.. but they have their own analysts and their own submit virus address.
    because the two companies(f-secure/kav) are partners it actually works vice versa too

9. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

f-secure missing 15 viruses? nah thats impossible. must be misconfigured or maybe conflicting with some other installed AV

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Kloshar from Firefighter!

It's more probable that F-secure has found 15 different viruses from your PC after installation than you have got 15 different virus infections by using F-secure!

You can try to scan with any other AntiVirus those infections and you will be surprised how many infections they will detect (other av:s than Kaspersky engined ones).

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best Regards,
    Firefighter!

11. kloshar

kloshar Guest

I think that there is a problem with my windows and f-secure. There is some mistake between them. Other antivirus sw work fine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.