F-Secure 2010 released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larryb52, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

well it was available & I'm glad to have installed it, it's a solid program for me plus now a quicker boot & definately running lighter. I'm happy to see F-Secure get to this point. For me this is a great chg for them & a move in the right direction. I also like that they chged the sys tray icon, nice touch...

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

What's the sys tray icon like now? It was there usual one in the ISTP.

I've downloaded this but not yet installed it.

3. larryb52

no light blue shield , different design more modern , I like it & the program runs well too:D

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

where can it be downloaded? and can you download the 2010 av as a stand alone yet?

5. larryb52

not sure went to the web page & it said current customers could download it (internet security suite), so I did so it accepted my license #...not sure about the stand alone AV...I'd check it out...

6. deanmartin

deanmartin Registered Member

7. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

The AV at last! thanks for the heads up and thanks also to JasSolo for noticing me in advance ;)

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would assume that AV Comparatives will test it in the upcoming tests.
    I am eager to see how it compares. It did not do well in the last series.

I installed it today. I had an old FSIS license and it took it. It did not take my beta test license. It is running OK, but I am not sure it it slows the loading of my browsers or not. I will keep an eye on it.

I may keep it if it does not slow my browsers, and if it has detection rates close to the top. If it does not then I will go to others which run well and have better detection rates than 2009 FS showed last test.

In reality I have been using several and all have done well. I hope FS can compete in the area of detection and smooth running on my systems. I must say that it has some tough competition.

I am curious as I have several FS CDs, and the rest are for the AV I think, but the CD lists both the AV and the IS versions. I am not sure how that works if the CD is used.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I'm interested too as they've made a lot of changes to this version.

The ISTP ran very well for me. I'd be interested to know if this runs as a 30 day trial if you don't enter a license key. I'm assuming it will but didn't want to risk installing until I know.

Can someone also please confirm the build no. of this official release.

Thanks.

10. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

11. Donenzone

Donenzone Registered Member

Yes there is

12. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Question, and a rather important one at that too:

Can this version be closed via tray icon? As far as I have understood, all previous versions have all had this design flaw where you could not exit/unload the application from memory, w/o completely uninstalling it. (and the last version of CS I checked some months ago also had this issue)

I am asking this because I do not allow any security software to remain resident during major software upgrades, such as certain drivers and OS service packs.

For example, my current solution Kaspersky allows user to close the application via tray icon ("Exit"). This helps to quarantee flawless install in some cases.

13. Netherlands

Netherlands Registered Member

It can be disabled but not fully unloaded as Kaspersky does. The F-secure icon remains and allot of processes.

Also when i load it again it says that virus and spyware protection is disabled. The status window says that it is enable.

Also 100% cpu usage when looking into my favorites.

I like the GUI its clean and simple

14. larryb52

I like the fact that while on trial they have updated definitions on weekends. I know that sounds like big deal so what but has always been one of the things I look for and indeed this morning after a quick boot, I checked & indeed it has updated...

15. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Thx for the information.

16. bogart

bogart Registered Member

will there be a client version of this new AV.

Also it uses bitdefender engine, what about the spyware engine, and does this 2010 release have the in the cloud capability

17. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

In answer to your questions:-

Yes - I believe Client Security (the business products) are released around November time from past experience.

I believe in addition to the bitdefender engine it also uses FS in-house hydra engine as well as Deepguard 2.

Yes - it has in-cloud capability like the 2009 version did.

18. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

does anyone here have problem with FIS 2010 updater ? it seem little unstable... i got several connectin timeout when doing update for the first time..

19. Macstorm

Why the web traffic scanning is still disabled by default after installation? or does the FS devs don't consider it a must for the security of the system..

20. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Not sure why it's disabled by default - the only issue I have with FS web scanning (and something I made them aware of months ago) is the long delay you get when you watch a YouTube vid - you literally have to wait for FS to scan the whole file before it begins playback.

21. Macstorm

That behavior is still present I'm afraid, at least on my rig. When webscan is enabled it takes about 15+ secs for a vid to start playing (time depends on what type of vid it is, I think). This could be one of the reasons why webscan is disabled by default. However, active or not, for most of websites I don't notice any difference or slowness on speed loading pages.

22. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I never used to notice any slowdown either with it enabled on other websites - it was just YouTube vids that I had issues with.

There's also the browser protection feature which should help block any 'dodgy' sites.

I installed it earlier today and like the ISTP is running great for me. I like the new icon too!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  23. Macstorm

My same thoughts on that, tho I'm trying the AV only. It's just the initial installation and subsequent reboot what took a bit of time to get my system in and up and running state. Hopefully FS own engines and deepguard make the difference because I don't trust much on bitdefender engine detection rates.

24. JoakimM

JoakimM Registered Member

Installs, updates and runs smooth as a whistle for me. The only issue that I have is a lag that lasts a few seconds when moving the pointer over the top part of the Favorites dropdown menu of IE8 (using XP SP3). Removing or turning off FSIS 2010 removes the problem, using FSIS 2009 also which makes me believe that FSIS 2010 is the root of the problem somehow. Anyone else noticing this?

Regards,
    Joakim

25. PnP

PnP Registered Member

me too have this problem and some problem with firefox 3.52

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.