F-PROT's improvement

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Miyagi, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

NOTE - This thread is not to be confused with A versus B product or my product is better than yours. This is just my personal observation about F-PROT's improvement.

That being said, I am glad and pleased how F-PROT is improving the product compared to its former predecessor - version 3. That old version was really out of date and detection was falling rapidly. Ever since version 6 came to existence in late December 2006, the improvements have been noticed and lately, the viruslab has been adding significant amount of malware signatures - now there are updates happening on the weekends, not just the weekdays.

You can compare the amount of signatures they are adding, searching and comparing just the F-PROT dates.
    http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar

There are talks in the F-PROT forum that a newer v6 Windows release will be happening soon. New release being the improvements of the quarantine, gui, real-time monitor features, etc... Being a happy camper with F-PROT, I just want to say "thank you" to the folks behind F-PROT. :)

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

everything you say is true. The staff at F Prot has made some great gains quickly. IC, speaks for himself for added support here. The funny thing is, it is about the only one I havent tried, but it has caught my eye of late. I guess I dont try it out of respect to the Inspector.;) But the price is now becoming a steal based on how well it is performing.

3. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

Have had F-Prot on all our PCs at home for about 6 months now and we have had no troubles whatsoever, although I am not crazy about the quarantine system (minor gripe).
    It updates without a hitch and our PCs are clean. It runs light and has been trouble free. Can't ask for much more than that, IMHO.
    Price is right, too.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Improvements in this feature coming in the next version ;)

5. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

wow 29.00 for 5 PC thas really great, as soon they have vista compartible i will give it a try

6. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I'm using F-PROT on 3 PC's in my SoHO environment.
    No problems. No slowing down. Very light.

I really think it is a very good product.
    And last but not least at very competitive price!

Mike.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

saw they had a Vista beta so decided to check it out, Everything installed perfectly. I may be going out on a limb here, but I swear it feels the lightest of any product I have used. Going to test it for 30 days. Their Vista must be just about ready to come out of beta.:thumb:

8. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

I looked at F-Prot recently but I was worried that they still had no final Vista compatible version out since Vista had been release for a while now. It made me wonder how big the F-Prot team was to lag behind like that.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I think F-Prot is one to watch, Mike (Inspector) does good work & will get it there, so I have been trialing it as it goes. I did buy another laptop (my wife didn't say no) and Vista I now have & I really don't care for Windows defender, etc, so I may try F-Prot there but not sure if it's vista compliant, otherwise Kaspersky blew my baseball game up to the point of I had to reinstall it & it was not easy because it's a work around with vista, so it bothered me quite a bit...anyway I'd keep an eye out of F-Prot, good will just get better IMHO...

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed.

Be sure to use the pm feature of the forums for any personal thoughts about each other so the threads can stay on topic.

11. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I certainly hope a Vista compatible version is out soon as we will be getting a new laptop with Vista on it. I like the product a lot and hope to continue use, no matter the OS.

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

F-Prot's version 6 is very, very good; however, it must be said, the version 3.16f with the 3.16g driver update is also very good on older PCs. F-Prot appears to be playing hardball with the so-called "big boys," and holding its own.

Dave

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

funny thing, I tried their beta product this week and uninstalled it. Every time I opened Outlook I got some error message saying the mail guard add on part, or something like that was. trying to open and I should uninstall it. I had unistalled F Prot correctly. So I reinstalled it, then uninstalled it and same thing. Took a reformat to fix. But it is beta, so I cant complain. It is a nice product, but it still as a little work. And it really is hard to think their are products, especially AV ones, that have yet to be compatible with Vista 32 bit, when others are ready for 64 bit and just waiting on SP1.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

will the vista beta add any extra features compared to what is available now?

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

none that I saw Chris. ~Off topic comment removed.~Personally the Maximus engine isnt what I thought it would be, but what do I know.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2007
  16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Another off topic post removed. Please stay on topic.

17. kinwolf

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but F-Prot also looks to be an AntiVirus only solution, and doesn't touch the spyware category. At least that's what I deducted some weeks ago after reading their webpage and datasheet.

18. kinwolf

Hmm, I downloaded it and looking at the command line switch I see a "adware" switch, so I guess it means it does scan for spyware, still not 100% sure though.

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

F-Prot v6 does scan for ad/spyware and unwanted/PUP software.

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Still somewhat limited though. A specific AS scanner is still recommended by Frisk as support to FPAV 6.

Worth letting them know about your problems with the beta. Either directly or on the Forum .

21. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Am running SAS Pro and working well together. Maybe, this would be an area for improvement in the coming months. Nice to see a happy thread though it might change. :eek: ;)

22. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

While F-Prot probably overlooks those "dread" tracking cookies, it would seem from the number of their signatures that F-Prot could by itself be able to catch most spyware malware.

Dave

23. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Number of signatures doesn't necessarily equate to amount of malware caught. Or so I have read here at Wilders.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.