F-Prot question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I am trialing F-Prot and I just downloaded a Microsoft application. I tried to right click scan it before installing. There was no F-Prot selection in the menu! There was a NOD32 adv. heuristics selection for scanning because I haven't uninstalled that tool we used before the latest version of NOD32. Why no F-Prot selection? Everything else that I have downloaded since beginning this trial, I have had an F-Prot selection to scan the file on right click. Microsoft files can be infected just like any files so what giveso_O??

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

Just making sure here - is it a file type that F-Prot is configured to scan? Also, if you right-click on a file that F-Prot previously scanned in this mode, you still see the F-Prot option given, correct?

Blue

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well I thought it was an exe file as that is what almost all of the applications I download to install are and F-Prot is set to scan that type of file. I just doublechecked now though and my brain must have read exe where it was not exe. The file type is msi whatever that is. And I do have F-Prot set to scan all files though so it shouldn't matter that this one is not exe like I thought. Maybe the settings got messed up in F-Prot somehow. The file it won't scan is bootvis. I'm too tired and sleepy to look into this further tonight.

4. jujus

jujus Guest

Right click on a folder always works for me even if it's not working sometimes on a file. If I were you, I would write to FPROT about that situation...

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When I used F-prot, I could never get it to do a right-click scan of an individual file. Therefore, I always downloaded to a *certain folder* then used F-prot to scan the folder (by right-click) rather than the individual file. It worked fine.

Also, F-prot gives a VERY sketchy report on the results of a right-click scan. If I wanted detailed scan results, I would use F-prot's on-demand scanner.

Frisk is well aware of this limitation & has promised better things in version 4.0. To me, it's a minor issue -- sorta like the seeds in a delicious watermelon. :)

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just heard back from F-Prot:

Unfortunately currently we do not have right click scan for file with the
    extension "msi".

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further information.

Best regards,
    Anna Podolskaia
    F-Prot Antivirus Technical Support

This bothers me. I want an AV primarily for right click scanning. This is so basic. I would expect a nice av that isn't bloated to be able to do this.

I also do not like that when the RT scanner finds something, I have to run the on demand scanner to do anything. In other ways though, I like this av.

7. sard

sard Registered Member

Their documentation is full of "Unfortunatelys" at least they've acknowledged the limitations, I hope the mythical version 4 will appear sometime this millennium :)

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

And the band plays on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.