f-prot question---fpavupdm.exe

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by f-prot, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. f-prot

f-prot Guest

fpavupdm.exe is always running with the latest f-prot

It is there update inspection service.When i installed f-prot i never installed the scheduler.

I can kill the task ,but i see no reason for it to run all the time.

How do i stop it from running when i boot up-its a pain to have to kill the task everytime.

thx

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  3. f-prot

f-prot Guest

Thx cat--i didnt look too closely at how f-prot was coming up in services.I went back into services and notices that it was the updater that was running--i just disabled it.

Im running xp2 slipstreamed and i can't believe what i have my memory down to now.

Im down to 103mb in task manager with 18 services running f-prot {maybe change up to dr.web soon} winpatrol trojan hunter and look-n-stop.

It's been trial and error shutting down services that i did not need.But im still on the learning curve off trimming off the fat of xp pro 2

thx for quick reply

4. Blackcat

Glad you found it in services.

Let me guess after f-prot and dr web, you will be posting as mks_vir 2004 next :D

Incidentally, latest news I have from Frisk support is that the beta for the new version 4 MAY be ready by the end of the year :'(

5. Sealord

Sealord Guest

It's easy enough to disable. But to get automatic updates in Win98SE I simply run <<"C:\Program Files\FSI\F-Prot\FP-Updater\Updater.exe" /quit>> in Task Scheduler on the schedule that suits me. It works great.

6. f-prot

f-prot Guest

mks_vir2004 seems interesting but i do have kaspersky on my comp also--i just use it as on demand now.

I use spybot adaware and javacools stuff ,but all of this is on demand .

My objective was to lower my resource usage to as low as possible and still practice save hex on the net.

i game alot and the new game doom3 really pulls the computer down -- this comp is running at 2.3 ghz{thx to barton amd} with a 5950 ultra vidiocard.

I quess if a had a big cyber rubber for my computer i would use even less resources

7. Blackcat

Although it takes up more memory than Dr Web or F-Prot, NOD seems even lighter on my computers and I know a lot of gamers use this AV ;)

Increasing your memory as much as possible, disabling all the fancy effects in XP and unnecessary services should also improve your performance.

But any of these 3 AV's will give you top notch protection together with your KAV as backup.

Incidentally, talking of KAV, have you ever tried the Swiss version of AVP 3.5? http://www.avp.ch/E/downloadv2.stm. This has a very light Monitor (2mB memory) and you can use your present key-file for this program as well. This is obviously a older program, but it has the same definitions as the recent versions so the detection rates are similar. It is also faster to scan than later KAV versions and it is well worth trying. I still use it as a backup scanner on one of my computers here.

However, these are all suggestions and whatever AV runs the best on your computer is the one to use.

8. Blackcat

http://www.blackviper.com/ ;)

9. f-prot

f-prot Guest

Nope--have not tried that--may look into it

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

May be ready ?? Does that mean there are even the slightest possiblity that we won't even see Beta before the end of this year?

12. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Edit: You can't do mutiple quote in Vb??

How come NOD32 is lighter it uses total of 16Mb Memory while F prot only use 8 Mb. ( I know some expert will already jump in and say task manager meassure is not accurate....... but i always think it is at least an indication )

13. f-prot

f-prot Guest

Ya--task manager is only an indication .Its not accurate,but the only thing i have to go by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.