F-Prot for DOS?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by whvrgr1, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whvrgr1

whvrgr1 Guest

Does this firewall work on non-IBM computers? And what is DOS? Will it work on XP?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

F-prot DOS is an on demand antivirus not a firewall.

see screen shot for requirments.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  3. jim_k

jim_k Registered Member

Non IBM Computers: Yes, as long as it is based on the Intel x86 platform (almost all consumer systems today). It won't work on a Mac, and it won't work if you don't have DOS on the system.

Click here for recommended firewalls for use with F-Prot Antivirus

This version is not compatible with Windows NT, 2000, or XP. The Windows version of F-Prot Antivirus costs $29.99 for five personal systems. This includes one year of updates. For more information on why you must buy the Windows version for NT, 2000, and XP, click here.

Even if you use Windows 98 or Me, which are compatible with the DOS version, it is worth paying for the Windows version. It will help stop infections from ever happening. It will also update itself. It is easier to use than the DOS version. Finally, you support the company that makes this excellent Antivirus software. F-Prot for Windows is not compatible with Windows 95. In this case, you should use the DOS version.

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Actually, F-Prot DOS works like a charm on my Windows 2000 system. AFAIK the primary caveat for using F-Prot DOS on a Windows machine is if you are using a NTFS file system. On a FAT32 file system it works great, if you are using NTFS file system it has difficulty seeing "long pathnames", I think.

See http://www.claymania.com/f-prot.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.