F-Prot and email

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by msanto, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmm ... it doesn't look like SP2 recognizes F-Prot 3.15a ... or is it the trial only that it does not recognize?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since you can't update while using the trial, that is probably the reason.

Sp2 recognizes the full version.

3. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Hmmm ... I tried emailing stuff from TestVirus.Org and it didn't give me a warning when the emails were d/l to OE.

And when I tried to save it, it didn't warn either.

It did warn when I tried to access or delete the file in Explorer, though.

I guess this is expected behavior?

Also, I don't know if it's just the trial version, but when I right click on the F-StopW icon in the system tray, the only selections are Disable and Exit (see bitmap). Seems silly you can't launch the on-demand scanner, unless it's just in the trial.

Finally, when I click on the Real-Time Protector button on this screen (bitmap again), nothing happens. Don't know if that's by design or if it's just the trial. I would expect to be able to change some RT protector settings, but I can't find it.

Attached Files:

4. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Yes, this is the expected behavior. F-Prot will detect and warn of infected attachments only when they are accessed, not when downloaded.

Yes, it's silly. I still right click and double click the system tray icon all the time - always expecting it to do what it should do, but doesn't. (Maybe in v. 4?)

You cannot change the settings for the RTProtector in WinXP. (Maybe in v. 4?)
    F-Prot Help file:
    The NT/2000/XP version of RealTime Protector does not yet have a settings interface. Instead, it has standard settings which are enough to do the basic job of stopping all infected and suspicious file from being opened on your system. There are no images to explain in this version. You can right-click the RealTime Protector icon in your system tray to select enable/disable and Exit.

RealTime Protector for Windows NT/2000/XP is set to scan by content. The RealTime Protector scans inside zip files that are less than 64k in size.
    RealTime Protector can be disabled, which means he will stop scanning. This option is to be used:
    If you are having problems with your system after installing RealTime Protector.
    While scanning using the DOS/CMD scanner.
    While burning a CD, running games or running software which require a high priority on your system's processor.

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

My ISP (Comcast) filtered all but three of the test e-mails ("This message has been processed by Brightmail(r) Anti-Virus using Symantec's AntiVirus Technology"). Tests #5 and #25 got past Brightmail and F-Prot didn't react (but neither did KAV in a separate test). My e-mail client (The Bat!) did block access to the attachment in test #25. Test #23 got past Brightmail and F-Prot caught it.

Nick

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.