F-prot 6 or Dr. web?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by BrainWarp, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'd choose F-Prot :thumb:

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, well ive upgraded my dr.web, might aswell get it done sooner rather than later eh?

3 years now, with 3 years spam hopefully. :rolleyes:

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i have yet to find support to match dr.webs,

i upgraded, sent a message to dr.web regarding the licence and getting the spam enabled with an added year after payment, (message ticket service) and it was replied in 2 minutes, with everything i wanted to know and more.

my licence is now extended and with spam.

2 minutes reply, super-duper.

hats off to the guys,

id recommend the ticket system for all dr.web users who want the best support http://support.drweb.com/new/

4. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Well im trying dr web on one computer and f-prot on the other right now.Is there an extended part of dr.web you can activate?

I might add i also have AVG anti-spyware also running.Have had this program sense the early days of ewido.I am not bound just to these 2 antiviruses to choose from.They were just the 2 that i had the most interest in.Nod 32 might also be a consideration.

As for my firewall i am using the integrated active armor firewall from nvidia on my nforce 4 board.Seems like it does a very nice job.

I have enjoyed reading your views and Opinions on the subject.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, some more defence :D

i have noticed that vista makes dr.web look a bit more rounded off in its interface, it looks better on vista than XP.

i am now hoping, that dr.web dont change the GUI too much, as ive never hated the GUI, just wanted it updating to 2007 :)

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8972/mydrwebspamwu6.th.jpg

just trying the [SPAM] and my new licence to see if its all alright, all is working and is fine, now i just wait for the vista version, when when when?,

must add though, scan cpu speed never reaches above 50% on my machine, as i know some people have said dr.web uses high cpu, which is just rubbish in my experience.

10mb HD space,
    4 processes
    24mb ram

so not all too bad eh?

:)

---------
    migrate from another AV - 50% off, cant be bad eh?
    new customer, get 15% off for just filling in a 10 second questionnaire

isnt f-prot one of those AV's that do not update at weekends, so for 2 days out of every 7, no signatures right?

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

F-Prot updates as needed in my experience. Adding, most antivirus companies have a lot of corporate customers that depend on them.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok but it hasnt updated since friday, now being monday early morning here.

is it like that every weekened, i dont know as i dont use it.

8. risl

risl Registered Member

Dr.Web has been updating a lot lately(in amount of signatures). Usually it's around 100-150 signatures / day but yesterday they added around 2500~ and today another 2000~ was added.

9. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Really that is interesting.

10. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Frequency, yes Dr.Web. The amount of signature they add in each update, I believe F-PROT wins this category.

But remember it's not just how much signature, you need to also take account how much the heuristic engine can catch without producing too many FP's.

F-PROT does add signatures over the weekend only in need-to-need basis.

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

drwtoday.zip (2007-03-12, 00:35:12, records in the add-on: 2569)
    drw43378.zip (2007-03-11, 23:30:00, records in the add-on: 2546)

http://download.drweb.com/bases/

So ~5100 signatures within 1 hour span. But the absence of generic detection for some trojans can explain such a huge number of signatures. Even Norman does this from time to time. So its up to you how you interpret it.

Moreover if you check the drw43378.txt and drwtoday.txt files you'll see that MOST of the signatures are common in both files. So the effective update is ~2500 not ~5100. Maybe its an error from Dr.Web or I'm not aware of their updating policy properly.

Personally both of them are fine antivirus softwares. Dr.Web updates more frequently than F-Prot but we all know how F-Prot performed in IBK's test. Its a matter of personal choice. Mine would be the russian one.

12. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

Yeah, I noticed this also. Dr. Web updated serveral times this past Sunday.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  13. Arin

Arin Registered Member

drwtoday.zip (2007-03-12, 14:20:33, records in the add-on: 47)
    drw43378.zip (2007-03-11, 23:30:00, records in the add-on: 2546)

Looks like it was actually an error and Dr.Web fixed it. Signature number in drwtoday.zip went down from 2569 to 47.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i really wouldnt worry about amount of signatures, as long as they are frequent enough, im happy.

let them do their job, its what they are paid for :D :D

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Maybe I am just dumb, but I do not pay any attention to number of signatures. Instead I trust IBK's test, and F-Prot wins that easily. Yes, I do consider 5% important in the detection capabilities.

Best,
    Jerry

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

think ive already put my argument and comments towards this one :D

17. waters

waters Registered Member

Try both and see for yourself,more to an antivirus than top detection,otherwise if you mean detection, check av comparatives where Dr web is near last

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In looking at past AVC tests, Dr Web was not always on the bottom. I wonder how it fell so much while others were improving?
    Regards,
    Jerry

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well you could say that, but dr.web has a good record with VB100 and has a decent score with av-test.org, f-prot struggles to pass even the VB100.

20. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

If you miss a sample or get a false-positive, you don't get the award. So one sample vs. thousands ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes but missing a sample on the wildlist is bad, the av companys are aware of what they need to do to get the pass, yet some fail. i.e. f-prot

so sure you can say, ibk's test shows f-prot in good light and dr.web in a poor one, but if you look at av-test.org and vb100, dr.web wins. :D

add that to the comments ive already made in this thread, and i aint too downhearted. :D

and i aint gonna turn into one of those 'you must use dr.web' but seen as im the only person defending dr.web in a vs thread, i might aswell give it a go eh :D

22. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

C.S.J.....Are you saying, that in addition to the 50% off migration deal, you can get another 15% off on top of that for just for taking part in the questionnaire? That's a pretty darn good deal if that is what you meant. :)

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no thats not what im saying *lol*
    they might aswell just give it away if that was the case :p

migration 50% discount,

new customer without migration still manages a 15% discount

is that better? :D

i think it could work, if there were a place to insert 2 not 1 coupons, maybe.... try it and see *lol*

but i think its not possible, one or the other, either way... discount for everyone

24. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Sorry, but I have to play devil's advocate here.
    Then you have to recognize a 19% advantage favoring the Dr. in the Retrospective/Proactive tests.

Kind regards

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the only one i fully trust is VB, its valid and probably the most popular certification, however... it is a small test i know.

im sure IBK's test and av-test.org are massive and results are always interesting, but i doubt 'all' the malware are legit and executable.

they are always interesting and i do enjoy the tests so im not dissing the tests at all, so please dont think that, looking mainly forward to the next av-test.org one, but you never know when that will be, maybe IBK knows, im sure he is lurking about on here somewhere :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.